Science Forums

Direct proof of dark matter published

Tormod

There will always be a small percentage of people who are skeptical of anything you say is proof. I guess what really matters is how big of a percentage this is.

In this case you have at least three bright minds, and I would hazard a guess of many others, on this site who regularly see proof in many other things, and we can't see any here.

This question of proof keeps continually resurfacing. It truly depends upon the willingness of the individuals need to believe.

With due respect, such willingness would liken to religion, would it not?

What is proof for one may not meet the criteria for another. Do I hear the music of Big Bangology playing in the background?????????????????????????Infy

Granted, many accepted theories have holes, but we generally accept them as the best possible explanation thus far and we leave our minds open to other possibilities or try to challenge or further the theory in question.

It is the falling "far short" aspect, relative to the claim of this article, that I would regard as problematic.

I do not have any background knowledge about the subject.

All I have, I think, is plain common sense.

This is what I see in and conclude from the processed image of the event:

- In order to collide the two clusters ( that must have been moving in the same spatial course/direction due to universal expansion ) have been moving at different moving rates.

- As the collision progresses the two (most probably) hydrogenous clusters' atmospheres press against each other.

- Each of the two separate clusters' atmospheres is deformed and displaced, in extent and in shape and characteristics depending on the size of its parent cluster and on the characteristics of its H atmosphere and on the events of the evolution of the merger of the clusters .

Dov

Agreed, we're going off of the articles and not the direct scientific papers and data. I read the article here and the one at Space.com. I find it frustrating that SO often these types of articles are published as absolute truth, rather than a possible step in the right direction.

Granted, 100 hours is plenty of time to study something. But it could take 100 years of study to really pinpoint what dark matter is and whether it actually exists at all. Again, my main frustration is the presumptuous tone these type of articles so often take. I believe this study could LEAD toward a better understanding of dark matter IF it exists and that it offers good reason to continue the quest to understand the nature of dark matter or the cause behind it. But I just don't feel they've proven anything regarding dark matter so far.

now try 6000 years of study:

HEBREWS CHAPTER 11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 ¶ Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

good luck,

love ya all,

kirk;)

now try 6000 years of study:

HEBREWS CHAPTER 11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 ¶ Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

good luck,

love ya all,

kirk;)

Amen.

Re "faith is the substance of things..."

From an old posting of mine:

"A humanist answers a religious pen-pal "

Nov 11 - Dec 4, 2005

Dear Pen-Pal,

We live on a tiny speck of dust within an infinitely immense swirl.

Life ( also a black hole? ) is a substantiation of a temporary containment of cosmic energy dilution. All forms of Earth life are thus temporary energy bubbles. We are not yet able to figure out the implications of this.

Evolution did us a disservice, endowing us with "intelligence", with the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge, causing us to perceive and explore and wonder.

Some of us, like you, feel desperately lost without an ID (Inteligent Design) or without "everything being shaped by...something". You need to subsist under some form of Providence. Your peace of mind and your reflective elation are founded on a feeling that your existence is purposed towards something vague of which it will somehow sometime become a part.

Some of us, like me, regard our cosmic circumstances, all reality, and our meagre comprehension of them as an invitation to explore and chart the infinite aspects of the evolving universe. In pursuit of this we try to fashion ourselves in accordance with what we progressively learn about the universe and about life and about ourselves.

This, in my opinion, is the major difference between religious and science-based worldviews.

Dov