Science Forums

Riots Across America

It seems there are riots all across america tonight over George Floyd's death by the police, read more at https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protest-updates-05-28-20/index.html

P.S. It will be interesting to see how this turns out do the national guard open fire on the rioters?

Read more at https://kstp.com/minnesota-news/lake-street-target-looted-as-protests-continue-in-minneapolis-may-riots-george-floyd/5743072/

Edited by VictorMedvil

I think the use of tear gas, water cannon, and possibly rubber bullets should be more than adequate. If they fire on the crowd with live ammo the situation will become much more serious.

While people’s resentment of the clear-cut police brutality is legitimate, I think a lot of people are coming out and joining the protests/riots to release pent up frustrations from the covid shut down. In fact, there were predictions that some civil disorder could well break out even before the police killing happened. Plus, there will always be agitators who will take advantage of a situation to advance their own ends.

There could be a long hot summer ahead, the likes of which we have not seen in the US for many years. Sad.

Looting a Target doesn't make much sense to me. Suppose it's just a "soft" unarmed target(pun intended) like a schoolzone, not a "hard" target like the PD in question where everyone carries a sidearm and body armor.

The rioting/looting/arson is the work of anarchists who regularly meld into whatever protest is at hand.Anarchy is as anarchy does.

Seems to me more like the work of people who are sick and tired of being routinely killed by law enforcement and racists for no other reason than being the wrong colour. Having a president who's clearly racist, as well as news organisations (fox) is just the icing on the cake.

The worst thing is, just like the gun debate, everybody knows nothing's going to change.

I don't condone the riots in anyway, but I can understand the anger and resentment they must feel.

America's in a dark place right now. Hopefully change will happen, but I won't be holding my breath.

Seems to me more like the work of people who are sick and tired of being routinely killed by law enforcement and racists for no other reason than being the wrong colour. Having a president who's clearly racist, as well as news organisations (fox) is just the icing on the cake.

The protesting is by the justifiably sick & tired, but the violence is instigated by relatively few anarchists. Right, left, organized, or lone wolves; anarchists. Trump is a douche I think most sane folk can agree.

The worst thing is, just like the gun debate, everybody knows nothing's going to change.

I don't condone the riots in anyway, but I can understand the anger and resentment they must feel.

America's in a dark place right now. Hopefully change will happen, but I won't be holding my breath.

Gotta breathe friend! To quote Arthur Ashe, start where you are, use what you have, do what you can. :-) Edited by Turtle