SaxonViolence

Understanding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

Friends,

When the Oxygen content goes up...

I think they say that it was as high as 35% at one point in primordial times...

Does the Ozone layer get thicker? All else being equal?

Thanks.

…..Saxon Violence

#2 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:01 AM

Friends,

When the Oxygen content goes up...

I think they say that it was as high as 35% at one point in primordial times...

Does the Ozone layer get thicker? All else being equal?

Thanks.

…..Saxon Violence

I don't know, offhand. Some of these interactions can be complex and I am not an atmospheric chemist.

Ozone production is an interaction between O2 and UV light (UV-C and to a lesser extent UV- B ) The flux of this radiation is constant, so once it has all been absorbed by ozone no more O2 will react and a limit will be reached. From what I read, today all UV-C is mopped up by ozone and a lot of the UV-B but not all of it. So that suggests there is a surplus of UV-B today which could permit more ozone to be formed if the concentration of O2 were higher.

However the period in question was the Carboniferous. I did see something suggesting that methyl halides released from forest fires in the Carboniferous might actually have depleted the ozone layer.  

So I do not think the answer to your question is very clear-cut, unfortunately. Possibly this response may give you some ideas for how to research it more thoroughly.     

Edited by exchemist, 30 May 2019 - 06:02 AM.

• SaxonViolence likes this

#3 fahrquad

fahrquad

All I know is that I know nothing.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:13 AM

I have a can of ozone eating Dichlorodifluoromethane and I am not afraid to use it!!!

https://en.wikipedia...difluoromethane

Edited by fahrquad, 03 June 2019 - 09:14 AM.

#4 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

I have a can of ozone eating Dichlorodifluoromethane and I am not afraid to use it!!!

https://en.wikipedia...difluoromethane

Gosh that must be old! Manufacture stopped over 20 years ago.  

#5 fahrquad

fahrquad

All I know is that I know nothing.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:26 PM

Yup.  Production ceased in 1994.  My dad had the can and recharge kit in his garage and no one in the family still has a car that uses R-12.  Mom's 1993 Lincoln Town Car has been converted, my 2 1974 MG Midgets don't have air conditioning, and everything else was made after the change-over.  I have the R-12 listed on Craigslist for $20 since July of 2018 and have had no bites.  R-134a was supposed to be a "drop-in" replacement, but if the compressor oil wasn't changed to a compatible lubricant then the compressors usually failed within a few months.

https://www.hagerty....nts-and-the-law