Science Forums

Murder is art

motherengine

Guest loarevalo
it's just like falling asleep.

you escape further and further down into conciousness until you become totally unfunctionable and die.

heh, that sounds so hilarious.

That makes sense! You just loose consciousness, but don't regain it again.

I was going to say, what is so strange about a man looking at himself by a mirror when dying? What about people in their deathbed, in the hospital, knowing they will die in a few days or hours? Don't they cling to life even to the last second, even if there is no hope?

You know, I am dying. My family was shocked when they knew. Fortunetly however, the doctors say I have some years left. They didn't say precisely how many years, only that if I took care of myself, the disease wouldn't degenerate so fast, but that at the current pace they estimated I had about sixty years left. :)

We're all dying. Mortality means we can die at any moment. Mortality is the uncertainty of when we will die, but the certainty that we will die! :)

Guest loarevalo
murder is a mortal sin

killing is biblically acceptable. (within the clear definition)

i personally see very few circumstances where murder (premeditated and without any value to the still living) is anything more than an abhoration.

murder is a sin, not an art, no matter the circumstances a murderer is defined as a sinner when his killing is of no use to anyone.

when murdering, as in rockstars manhunt, becomes an art i'll weep for our species and hope god sends divine rapture to cleanse his paradise of its perpetrators.

Alxian, I saw the PS2 control under your username. I wondered, when you played a game of shooting things or people or aliens or whatever, how did you feel? Was it fun? Should it be fun? Should one feel guilt? Sure, for wasting so much money and time!

Anyhow, I don't play those kinds of games (nor many videogames for that matter). Yet, I guess is only natural to get pleasure from shooting things, or kicking, or making explotions. We should, however, be conscious we are being amused by destruction, which is completely ungodly.

but then if murder is the unlawful taking of a human life, a bobcats intent when it crushes my larynx and the fact fact that it is unaware of human law are besides the point. that bastard animal murdered me.
Not really true mother engine, an animal only kills, there is a difference between murder and killing. Websters:

Murder.............the unlawful and malicious or premeditated killing of another person

Kill...................to cause the death of; to slay

Animals don't murder anyone, when they take a life, it is done without malicious intent. However when another human being takes a life, not only is it unlawful, it is done with conscious awareness and malicious intent.

Alxian, I saw the PS2 control under your username.

its an XBOX.

and thus i assume you are not a gamer, and have no right to talk about the subject.

ps2 is the devil, and i doubt anyone here wants me to elaborate.

but i guess i have to. *cracks knuckles.

i'd rather drink battery acid than own a ps2.

i wasn't brough into the world on any specific mandate. i have no master. i have no reason to in any way further the betterment of a society that would rather bury me than do anything to further mine.

i was born into this world most likely by accident. my parents, unmarred and soon separated after my birth were able to care for me, and i was not raised by either of them.

massmedia was my parent.

i control and dictate my destiny.

to even begin to judge me without understanding a thing about me... doesn't finish the thought, i've been banned for other forums for less and don't want to scream anymore today.

anyways,

speaking to defend myself and other gamers until huxleys vision of state mandated cloning labs are made real, every man and woman living in society owes nothing to the state nor anyone else, (maybe their parents if they bothered to raise them well). We pay taxes for our freedoms, they are not extortionary and offer actually quite a bit of freedom. we work for whomever has money to pay us, to pay our governments for our freedom. i earn enough to get by.

if i choose to spend 80% of my time descretionary time on the net and 2% on my xbox then that is my choice. i don't feel like i am wasting my time (usually) and neither do i feel at all compelled to do anything more than work for 13 hours 3 days of the week for HP to earn money.

what i want to do is rule the world. gamesoffer me that feedom. if i had the choice i'd live in the matrix, a living lucid dream where the fundamental laws of physics were mine to control. eventually technology will create a world such as gibsons "virtual light" where people can pay for the priveledge of living in a matrix of their own creation. i know i wouldn't do a very good job ruling the real world, so i play games instead, no one gets hurt and i get my jollies off. i play constructive games mostly (when there are any to play, right now its all about burnout). this fall will see the release of 360 and hundreds of my hard earned dollars into the canadian and american economies. construction games though are a niche market, and comparitively unpopular. its all about the first person shooter, and war games. racing games are about the only nonviolent niche to have universal appeal amoung gamers. a good construction game though is hard to come by, fragile allegiance and simcity to name a couple are amoung my favorites.

my avatar which you ignorantly misidentified is an analogue of one of my xbox consoles. the crystal one being pimped out with a 250 gig hdd, a mediacenter extention of my self built mediacenter PC. the other is a stock xbox for online gaming, a 400$ investment in halo 2 to be quite clear. can't wait till november (more realistically february to get a Microsoft xbox 360, then next summer/fall a ps3).

ps2 is the shame of the gaming industry, and my PC is as kickass as my silly tech support career can currently afford.

my humble pc

p4 3.0ghz HT 800mhz fsb (waiting for intel pentium 4 4.0ghz 2 megs of L2, dualcore), 3.0 gigs of 400mhz ram (waiting for gddr3 or xdr main system ram, 4 ghz of that stuff), x800 xt 256 AIW (would like to have crossfire x16 x9xx AIW cards), msi tv tuner (P.O.S.), running win xp and VIsta beta 1 (waiting for VIsta retail now that i've grown a taste for it, like a shark smelling blood in the water.. i must have it), several hdds (waiting for affordable terabyte drives and HD movies. :) ), and an audio solution soon to be replaced with an audigy 2, with 2 ethernet connections (one for connecting the mediacenter xbox, the other to connect to the internet) with 6.5/1 megabit cable internet (waiting for 30-50/10 megabit fiber), digital cable and satelite to provide a connection to the outside world.

just this afternoon i downloaded and completed the F.E.A.R. demo using bittorrent, OMG. i really really hope MS has the sense to port this one over (within the next two years).

but mostly i use its power to play zuma deluxe, simcity 4 (though i haven't touched that one in months and frankly the appeal is gone, waiting for citylife by monte cristo) and the sims 2 (hopefully spore and simcity 5 release for PC soon).

so...

when i kill things on xbox or PC, in answer to your question, i feel great, yes i revel in the experience, i live for it. that is right now my purpose in life.

i would never though i swear it to the christian good nearly daily (since i work in tech support), kill a man, i'm sure i could, but i'd probably regret it. like smoking drinking sex etc i'm sure i'd regret killing another human and would therefor abstain from doing so recreationally.

IMO digital murder is art, killing for hours on end fine tunes gamers into killing machines.

give them a real gun and they'll not know what to do with it. without actually training or motivation a gamer though intellectually capable would not kill another human being.

implying otherwise further proves your ignorance. any person not just gamers can be persuaded to pull a trigger, but dealing with it is how you measure their character. a human in society cannot be able to kill other people. a person is trained to NOT want to kill people. even police officers trained to use deadly force, the art of firing a sidearm can't reconcile killing someone.

i can only assume your question implies that speding orders of magnitude more time infuencing pixels on a screen kills me inside right? that since i've killed countless billions of sims means i can easily deal with killing a human being who was raised by a caring community would be any easier for me than you? i bet since i know about it and have to think about it everytime some ignoramus mentions it so callously as though i deserve such derisive comments that it would be much more difficult for me in the long run to pull that trigger on even my most hated ennemy (since technically i have none). i cherish life in all its forms, well except hatians and mosquitos.

i virtualize all my antisocial tendencies. my favorite game on xbox currently is burnout 3. i love crashing into other cars. i can spend days straight playing nothing but roadrage.

in the physical world though i'm a very agreeable and likeable person, who makes friends easily and am generally not very quick to violence. turn me loose in halo or unreal and its another story entirely.

its a good thing a 20 something humanbeing then can make that distinction between 'virtual' and 'reality', otherwise violent crime rates would be on the rise instead of being in a decline.

video games and the increase in the standard of living (enabling more people to play them) are helping young people live healthier better lives. giving people a nondestructive outlet for their destructive tendencies.

the extreme of gaming, MMO games, IMO are just making games so involved and complex they mirror real life, more people in a virtual space requires politics rebuilding all of the problem plaguing society inside a virtual space. thus even in totally controlled environments humans can't be trusted to behave well.

society then can be seen as the corrupting factor. single players get along just fine, add more players and people start getting murdered (in the real world), games aren't the problem people are.

Guest loarevalo
XBOX

ps2 is the devil, and i doubt anyone here wants me to elaborate.

I thought Bill Gates was the devil. :)

Anyhow, sorry for the mismatch. So, do you enjoy killing virtual things on XBOX?

bill gates is one of the worlds most altruistic human beings.

steve ballmer is the devil.

We should, however, be conscious we are being amused by destruction, which is completely ungodly.

more ignorance

violence lives within all of us, how we deal with it is the measure of our character.

human beings evolved from animals, we have not lost our tendancy toward violence.

we can externalize it or internalize it, either way we have to deal with it.

some of us kill covenant elites, some of us kill our adulterous counterparts, some of us die of stress related complications.

i choose to relieve my stress, or find merriment in knocking cars off of the road at 150 mph.

if you mean ps2...

it was created in sonys greedy heart to make money not to entertain people.

they wanted money.

MS then followed that lead and built xbox, again to make money first, entertain people never apparently entered the equation.

they start the dance all over again next year.

the ability of either console to succeed in the eye of each corporation depends on sales not the quality of the games created.

Guest loarevalo

violence lives within all of us, how we deal with it is the measure of our character.

human beings evolved from animals, we have not lost our tendancy toward violence.

we can externalize it or internalize it, either way we have to deal with it.

i choose to relieve my stress, or find merriment in knocking cars off of the road at 150 mph.

Yes, Bill Gates is a great person.

I got to ask you, why do you have so much tension inside?

How do you think Jesus dealt with his tendencies toward violence? Of course, he was perfect, but he suffered all kinds of human illnesses, pains, and temptations. Jesus also said, that killing was a sin, and added in the sermon on the mount that hating was also a sin.

Yes. We are tempted towards violence, but so we have to resist it, whether the tendency is to kill, or kick the box under the desk, or beating arrested criminals. Did Jesus tell us to internalize violence? Partly I think yes. Actually, I believe he told us to substitute it for something much better: love.

I don't think Jesus would enjoy playing Mortal Kombat, or Rainbow Six, or Quake, or whatever.

lack of sleep, lack of sex, lack of good nutrition.. who knows really?

it is said jesus was a hellraiser in his youth.

as an adult he fought the establishment tooth and nail and got himself crucified

jesus had much more tension than i do.

jesus, perfect? did you miss the entire message of the bible or what?!

in fact thats a silly question. of course you did.

and no he didn't

MURDER, is the sin, killing is acceptable under special circustances.

as part of asimovs three laws kind of thing. to save a human a robot should have the right to kill another human being or kill itself. however asimov was no fool, that would have emplied that any person could justify killing, the dead can't speak in their own defense (literally) and evidence can be misinterpreted. which is why we have manslaughter charges.

I don't think Jesus would enjoy playing Mortal Kombat, or Rainbow Six, or Quake, or whatever.

i think once he'd played it and got good at it he'd pwns n00b as good as any 1337 haxxor.

because jesus would know it wasn't real and he was causing no harm to himself or anyone else.

i'm very sure though jesus would invoke the cencor cheat in the sims 2, people are born naked and should not be ashamed of themselves.

its so weird, shame of one own nudity was a human creation, god had adam and eve running around nekkid in eden, we thought we were better than god when we felt ashamed of ourselves for running around nekkid. original sin? shame or eating the apple?

this simple contradiction partly unraveled my faith.