Science Forums

The Yogi-Bare

petrushkagoogol

The Yogi (in Indian mysticism) focuses on controlling himself and avoids controlling others.

The politician focuses on controlling others and is unable to restrain himself. (in most cases).

The web of social contacts is a GP (geometric progression : 1 2 4 16 256 ....).

By avoiding social contacts, the Yogi avoids multiple failure points arising out of larger and larger social contacts. 

The politician gets trapped in a larger social network of his own making. (arising out of the need for campaign funds).

Is it then a case of "sixpence none the richer" ?  :irked: 

Um, both yogi's and politicians are considered failures--or more likely, just "poor, raving lunatics"--unless they have lots of social contacts.

Oddly enough, although they truck in prevarication and modification of the perception of reality, even they must make sense at some level.

And as far as I am aware, Sixpence None the Richer has never released a song about either yogi's or politicians.

It's everyday I'm in this place I feel this way, I feel the same. Is it all inside my head? :phones:
Buffy

Um, both yogi's and politicians are considered failures--or more likely, just "poor, raving lunatics"--unless they have lots of social contacts.

Oddly enough, although they truck in prevarication and modification of the perception of reality, even they must make sense at some level.

And as far as I am aware, Sixpence None the Richer has never released a song about either yogi's or politicians.

It's everyday I'm in this place I feel this way, I feel the same. Is it all inside my head? :phones:
Buffy

Sixpence None the Richer means "none the wiser".........., it does not refer to a song by the same name....

Sixpence None the Richer means "none the wiser".........., it does not refer to a song by the same name....

Actually no, in the C.S. Lewis story to which it refers, the father is well aware that he's "none the richer" because his kid borrowed money from him to buy him a present. So he's not any "wiser" but that's entirely irrelevant to the meaning of the story.

And you might want to think about assuming people who respond to you don't know what you're talking about. And if they pretend not to so explicitly, that they might be making a comment about your point indicating you may be the one who is not completely comprehending the situation.

No computer has ever been designed that is ever aware of what it's doing; but most of the time, we aren't either, :phones:

Buffy

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now I know that there's no need to be polite with you, dear.

Out, out, brief candle, :phones:

Buffy

I would support implementation of an "out, out, brief candle" strategy with regard to this one. What we are being offered is, after all, a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.