Science Forums

Could aliens be time-travelling humans from the future?

Guest kyle8921

Yes there is a need to reconstruct dinosaurs; we are trying to answer questions about our origins, precisely because our knowledge is limited. With more knowledge all of these questions will be eliminated. Yet even if we did decide to travel to the past, we would do it at a distance in a bubble, as not to interfere. NO WE ARE NOT BEING VISITED......

Possibly the "Futarians" use the idea of aliens and UFOs to hide their visits? All I know is that if humans ever get the technology to travel to the past, they would! What they would look like or how we would perceive it is unknown but if our future descendants have the technology and don't use it then they are not human in our sense of the word. As for aliens I have postulated in another thread that aliens visiting us do not have to be from another star system and to say aliens would have no interest in us or our capabilities ignores many reasonable possibilities. Before you go ballistic let me say that most UFO reports are simply mistaken sighting of conventional objects, only a tiny few sightings have both data, and observers to actually make you wonder what was actually being seen. That doesn't mean that these were alien space craft but it does mean that not all sightings are simply lights in the sky. Personally i lean toward electromagnetic effects on the human mind that some might say are just as unlikely as alien space craft.

You are probably right, if we had the ability as humans to travel any wear including time, we would. Although I still don't see a need for this. Are civilization is only one day past being barbarians. Yesterday we needed to survive. Today we need to conquer and consume. Who knows what our motives will be tomorrow. Time is not constant and can be bent. Even if we could travel to the past at some point it would not be this past. It would be a whole new past contingent on tomorrow. Therefore there is simply no need to create alternate past and futures. This would subtract from our perception of existence all together.

• 3 months later...

Aliens are not as what you may seem.. But you could be right. But what i think it that they are us, We are the Aliens put here as Slaves to mine gold for the "People from the sky". Some Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics Have pictures of what would be Modern day Technology. Including Cars, Airplanes, And get this Even a UFO Disc.. The Egyptians also talk about Another planet within our Solar System that Apparently only they knew about. But the So called "Aliens" That came to them, Were Giant Humans From this Planet, And Genetically Made us. They made us Small So we could not Overthrow them in their point of view. But People back then were smaller than people are today. So it could be any amount of things...

• 1 year later...

hey i am from the other side of the world(India)

trying to give an explanation.

the nearest star to earth is 4.3 light years away and which has no planets with possible life. the nearest possible life to us is around 20 light years away(approx) this life might not have intelligence comparable to humans.

20 light years that is 20 * 365 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 300,000 kilometers away.

so its very impossible to travel this distance even in a span of thousand life times.

But there must be more types of interstellar travel such as antimatter and thanks to CERN they might be able to make wormholes to go through and go to earth in an instant or go through time itself with it!Or with the now discovery FTL(FasterThanLight)Particle neutrino it's possible to travel faster and go through time itself!!!!!!!

Welcome to hypography, Dario! :) Please feel free to post a thread by our introductions forum to tell us a bit about yourself.

the nearest star to earth is 4.3 light years away and which has no planets with possible life. the nearest possible life to us is around 20 light years away(approx) this life might not have intelligence comparable to humans.

20 light years that is 20 * 365 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 300,000 kilometers away.

so its very impossible to travel this distance even in a span of thousand life times.

But there must be more types of interstellar travel such as antimatter and thanks to CERN they might be able to make wormholes to go through and go to earth in an instant or go through time itself with it!Or with the now discovery FTL(FasterThanLight)Particle neutrino it's possible to travel faster and go through time itself!!!!!!!

I think most folk here at hypography agree that interstellar travel isn’t in principle impossible, but is certainly hard.

Antimatter is an attractive spacecraft fuel, as its energy density is as high as theoretically possible, but at present, troubled by not occurring in nature in large amounts, and being stupendously expensive to make artificially. The best exploration of this subject I’ve read is the late Robert Forward’s 1995 alternating chapters science fact / science fiction book Indistinguishable From Magic (1st 4 chapters readable at this publisher’s site). Even with antimatter for energy and the most advanced imagined engine designs, though, interstellar travel is still a slow (tens or hundreds of years duration) undertaking.

You’d better fact check your sources about CERN, as to the best of my knowledge, they’ve not made any progress on creating or discovering navigable wormholes. Theoretical explorations of them have been around for decades, such as Kip Thorn’s wonderful 1994 book Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy, but since Thorn, Hawking, and Carl Sagan’s brainstorming of the idea (you may recall that navigable wormholes were at the heart of Sagan’s 1985 science fiction novel Contact, which made it to film in 1997 – he turned to Thorn for help in keeping his story scientifically reasonable), I’ve seen little serious work on the subject.

If the famous CERN/OPERA neutrinos actually are faster than light (which is far from certain yet), they do, in principle, permit communicating backward in time. The engineering involved in actually doing this, assuming you have some FTL signal to do it with, is so hard, it pretty much implies getting between stars in tens or hundreds of years will already be an accomplished technology. I think my own humble post, and several others sharing its thread, are pretty good ones on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it makes perfect sense!

I don't know whether it makes any kind of sense or need to. I do like this as a story and I would read the novel were it written.

Trying to fit this into the paradigm of "reality" as like the way things are.... etc is more in line with debating how many devils

that dance on the head of a pin! Pointless. So to go down that track accept Boerseun's statement and move on.

I do remember growing up after having watched some stupid b-movie about space aliens and considered what if they

came from our future. As a story it is great. Write it. I will read it. Just my 2 cent.

I skimmed this long thread, and didn't see any mention of the book, The Man Who Folded Himself....

Forgot the author... Very interesting look at the logistics of time travel, though very weird.... Anybody read that??

The author is David Gerrold (of "Trouble with Tribbles" fame). He is one of my favorite authors and yes, I loved this book!

He actually has a couple of good time travel books. Another (I think) is "Thrice upon a time" (or something like that). This

one is about communicating with the future. It was a really good book also. B)

maddog

• 3 months later...

I think that we will prove in future that time is constant, we could perceive it as slowing or speeding (and looking at that as time travel- need proofing), but time is to an objective observer constant. So no time traveling! But i agree that in future will be possible to travel with speed of light or faster, or had no speed but bend space or some other mean of traveling.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm no scientist, much less a theoretical physicist. However, I am college educated and have a very organized and analytical thinking process. When I consider a thing like this I revert to simple logic. It seems to me that if these "aliens" are coming here from our future, we need to consider who, or what, they may be and why they are coming. After all, it would be no small feat to design and engineer such a thing as time travel craft. I think that we must consider that the beings aren't actual humans, but are some kind of surrogates sent in their stead to complete some task or tasks. The reason for this may be that the process of time traveling isn't possible for true living entities. It is possibly fatal or at least very damaging. It may even be possible that the intricacies of time travel ONLY allow for living creatures to be able to travel "back" in time (into what gas already occurred), and not "forward", as "forward" indicates attempting to move into what doesn't exist yet. That would mean that living humans can (or could) travel back, but would then be stuck there, or could only go further back and NEVER "forward". They may have learned this the hard way, and casualties occurred. Therefor, some types of very advanced androids were created. These would be the so-called "aliens" that have been observed. They would be able to go back in time to complete whatever programmed task that they were given, and then return to the time that they had departed from.

Now we should consider the "why" of the question. My thought would be that this would be done for some purposes that are very serious indeed. If our science advances to the point of engineering time travel, then they probably wouldn't use it for frivolous purposes, as any tampering with events in the past, could have very dire consequences in any future time and they would be aware of this. I believe that some type of plague, or perhaps some kind of alterations within our genetic make-up will occur. Maybe something that prevents us from reliable human reproduction will happen. Whatever the cause, I believe that it is something that threatens the continued existence of the human race and the travelers are coming here to collect biological materials from humans in the past in order to bring it back into the future for use in reversing/curing the problem. And/or possibly attempt to find the root cause of whatever it is that occurs to begin the trouble, and try to reverse and/or prevent it?

Just my simple thoughts on this issue.

Welcome to hypography, Timbo! :) Please feel free to start a topic in the introductions forum to tell us something about yourself, like what you studied in college.

I think that we must consider that the beings aren't actual humans, but are some kind of surrogates sent in their stead to complete some task or tasks. The reason for this may be that the process of time traveling isn't possible for true living entities. It is possibly fatal or at least very damaging. It may even be possible that the intricacies of time travel ONLY allow for living creatures to be able to travel "back" in time (into what gas already occurred), and not "forward", as "forward" indicates attempting to move into what doesn't exist yet.

From what I’ve read from physicists interested in closed timelike curves – that is, time travel – like Frank Tippler and Kip Thorne, sending any kind of information-carrying particles into the past would be considered success. If you can send information back in time, you can in principle, with sufficiently advanced, but much more likely physically possible than time travel, technology, use it to build anything the information describes, including but not limited to a person, made of living biological tissue, or not.

That would mean that living humans can (or could) travel back, but would then be stuck there, or could only go further back and NEVER "forward".

Everything travels forward in time - no time machine is needed to do this. For example, if you (or one of our presumed grey-skinned, big eyed descendants) traveled 1000 year into your past via some sort of time machine, you would only need to wait 1000 year to return to your starting date.

Of course, surviving (including not dying of boredom) for hundreds or thousands of years is a trick we’ve not yet mastered, but compared to the difficult of the traveling into the past (which, by best present day theory, is somewhere between requiring a kind of matter that may not be possible, and simply impossible) it seems to me a minor challenge.

I believe that some type of plague, or perhaps some kind of alterations within our genetic make-up will occur. Maybe something that prevents us from reliable human reproduction will happen. Whatever the cause, I believe that it is something that threatens the continued existence of the human race and the travelers are coming here to collect biological materials from humans in the past in order to bring it back into the future for use in reversing/curing the problem.

That’s pretty much the back story of John Varley’s Hugo-winning 1983 sci-fi novel Millennium, and the unpopular, critically panned 1989 movie of the same name. Along with preventing the invention of doomsday machines and extinction-level artificial plagues, I think this idea was a sci-fi staple when Varley’s used it in his 1977 short story he would expand into the novel. It’s one of the best.

However, I don’t think it’s aged well. In the 1980s, the idea of a culture technologically advanced enough to invent a time machine, but microbiologically not advanced enough to correct population genetic problems, seemed sensible to me, and obviously, to Varley and the thousands of WorldCon attendees that voted Millenium its Hugo. However, I think this is yet another case of sci-fi futurists underestimating the speed of the technology.

Few in the 1980s imagined that microbiology would advance so quickly that the many species complete genomes, including entire human ones, would be sequenced by 2003 (such as by the Human Genome Project), by 2008, an entire, functional bacterial genome would be built using only such data, and by 2010, successfully inserted into a cell, reprogramming it to be a new organism (by the Minimal genome project). While this "first self-replicating species we’ve had on the planet whose parent is a computer” is based on Mycoplasma mycoides’s genome, which has 1,078,809 base pairs, vs. the human genome’s about 3,200,000,000, and the techniques needed to clone a human are much more complicated than those to clone a M. mycoides, I don’t think there are any technical barriers to creating “a human whose parent is a computer” within the next 10 years (though there are, immense social and ethical barriers).

It’s much greater feat of suspension of disbelief for me now than it was in the 1980s to accept a future humankind with the technology to travel into the past, but not the technology to fix damage, however grave, to the human gene pool. The only sci-fi scenario where this happens that seems plausible to me is one in which, for religious or other ethical reasons, humankind utterly purges itself of practically all knowledge of present-day microbiology. Historically, scientific knowledge has proven nearly impossible to eradicate.

I think that the humanoid descriptions of these "aliens" if taken at face value almost screams time travel. We have no reason to assume aliens would humanoid in shape even vaguely. Evolution if restarted from the Cambrian explosion would almost certainly not result in the forms we see today.   

Yes there is a need to reconstruct dinosaurs; we are trying to answer questions about our origins, precisely because our knowledge is limited. With more knowledge all of these questions will be eliminated. Yet even if we did decide to travel to the past, we would do it at a distance in a bubble, as not to interfere. NO WE ARE NOT BEING VISITED......

Of course there is a need to reconstruct dinosaurs... they taste like chicken!  :beer-fresh: