Science Forums

Your Last 5 Minutes

Deepwater6

Have you ever given any thought to what your final thoughts would be? For the sake of the discussion let's say you have five minutes left until your certain death. It could be a jetliner with a mechanical problem or flown by a terrorist ready to fly it into a building or you are up for execution by the state. The reason for death isn't important, what is, are what's on your mind when you are absolutely sure of your imminent demise.

As I slowly but surely get older and closer to my death I find myself dwelling on it, where will I be, will I understand it's coming, will I be asleep or on a ventilator? I don't dread it, but as my margin or time for a normal human life decreases, I wonder if I will be able to communicate and convey my last thoughts and what those thoughts would be.

Many news articles and stories of passengers from the miracle on the Hudson and other similar events show what many usually say and do. Obviously many want to let the loved ones know how much they care for them. If there is time they will call, but usually in a note or a phone video.

Obviously some furiously pray to the God they believe in, some pray to a God they didn't know they believed in until that moment.

I had a meeting with an engineering firm I use at work last week. We discussed very important details and issues to complete a long running project. After the meeting I was told the electrical rep who usually attends the meetings was absent due to stage 4 Cancer. The point is, armed with this new perspective all the details and issues we just discussed for two hours became somewhat meaningless. All of us in the room were over 50 and I think the feeling was mutual. Despite the cost of the project I really didn't care. at least for a while. Will that be how it goes, I really won't care?

So I'd like to know, does anyone else mull these final minutes? If so do you believe all your cares and concerns about bills, debts, and taxes will be evaporated away and you will find peace of mind? or will it be a few moments of terror? Worry about your affairs not being in order, or if your loved ones will be alright without you, or fear of death itself and never being able to look into the mirror again?

Have you ever given any thought to what your final thoughts would be? For the sake of the discussion let's say you have five minutes left until your certain death. It could be a jetliner with a mechanical problem or flown by a terrorist ready to fly it into a building or you are up for execution by the state. The reason for death isn't important, what is, are what's on your mind when you are absolutely sure of your imminent demise.

As I slowly but surely get older and closer to my death I find myself dwelling on it, where will I be, will I understand it's coming, will I be asleep or on a ventilator? I don't dread it, but as my margin or time for a normal human life decreases, I wonder if I will be able to communicate and convey my last thoughts and what those thoughts would be.

Many news articles and stories of passengers from the miracle on the Hudson and other similar events show what many usually say and do. Obviously many want to let the loved ones know how much they care for them. If there is time they will call, but usually in a note or a phone video.

Obviously some furiously pray to the God they believe in, some pray to a God they didn't know they believed in until that moment.

I had a meeting with an engineering firm I use at work last week. We discussed very important details and issues to complete a long running project. After the meeting I was told the electrical rep who usually attends the meetings was absent due to stage 4 Cancer. The point is, armed with this new perspective all the details and issues we just discussed for two hours became somewhat meaningless. All of us in the room were over 50 and I think the feeling was mutual. Despite the cost of the project I really didn't care. at least for a while. Will that be how it goes, I really won't care?

So I'd like to know, does anyone else mull these final minutes? If so do you believe all your cares and concerns about bills, debts, and taxes will be evaporated away and you will find peace of mind? or will it be a few moments of terror? Worry about your affairs not being in order, or if your loved ones will be alright without you, or fear of death itself and never being able to look into the mirror again?

I suspect it will be relief that the cares are over. So long as my will is in order and my son's future is reasonably settled. And then, provided I am comfortable and lucid, which I may well not be at that stage, I suspect I will find myself reviewing my life.  

Nice thought. 

I have found a lot of people don't like to think, or even talk about death. Maybe it's superstition for some people? As in, if they don't talk or think about it they somehow delay it? I'm not looking forward to it, but I agree it's not the type subject you would bring up when you are out trying to have a good time with your friends.

Edited by Deepwater6