• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#35 hazelm

hazelm

Explaining

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:52 AM

These scenarios may not be so remote we all think.  Farm numbers are in decline, and, in the United States, we are relying very heavily on migrant labor to keep food cheap.  Our food processing is done by a handful of companies in a handful of locations, so our food supply is becoming more vulnerable.  Our electric grid has been put on a mostly centrally controlled system vulnerable to cyber-attack and electromagnetic pulses.   Our infrastructure is crumbling faster than it is being repaired, and our population is largely under educated.  Too  few people even have a vague idea as to how our technologies function, and even fewer have much capacity to get by without.

Don't get me wrong, I love the technology we use on the farm, but experience has taught me to always have a backup plan.  We keep our older, simpler technology on standby.

Some of us whose brains are technology-challenged even continue to use the old standbys out of pure habit - or need.  And sometimes it is a good thing we do.  GPS is not perfect.  Calculators forget how to calculate. And Spell-check isn't winner of the spelling bee.  There is a story in the news this morning of a lone sailor whose boat stalled somewhere due to technology failure.  Scary?