Science Forums

Bouncing Jesus

Deepwater6

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/rowdy-crowd-gets-jesus-lookalike-thrown-115711187--abc-news-topstories.html

WHAT THE....?? :blink: ...?? I'm sure being a Jew Jesus probably had red hair and a pale complexion, oh yeah. :lol:

If he did descend he had better stay there because if he comes back they will surely crucify him again.

Way back in Biblical Literature in High School, a Teacher told us that the Word translated as "Fair" for King David, actually meant in Hebrew, that he had Red Hair.

So Red Hair wasn't unknown in the time of King David anyway.....

Unless the Teacher didn't have all his Tappets battened firmly in Place.

Saxon Violence

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/rowdy-crowd-gets-jesus-lookalike-thrown-115711187--abc-news-topstories.html

WHAT THE....?? :blink: ...?? I'm sure being a Jew Jesus probably had red hair and a pale complexion, oh yeah. :lol:

I’d guess this is a case of a long-haired, bearded man getting heckled by a crowd of not-long-haired and/or bearded men.

I’ve looked similar to the story’s unfortunate Nathan Grindal for about 25 years, and have from time had short-haired friends and strangers alike spontaneously remark that I “look like Jesus”. Some folk seem to keep an imaginary portrait of Jesus close at mind much of the time, and call out whenever they see someone roughly matching it.

Fortunately, I’ve never been shouted out of a public venue for my appearance. That darts tournament in Somerset sounds like a pretty rowdy crowd. Why they’d single out Grindal in a crowd of 5,000 is mystifying – I find it hard to credit that there weren’t at least a few dozen men in the crowd that looked like him and me.

Way back in Biblical Literature in High School, a Teacher told us that the Word translated as "Fair" for King David, actually meant in Hebrew, that he had Red Hair.

I’d not heard that one before, but checking it quickly on the web, see it’s a pretty accepted by Torah and Bible scholars.

This 2010 article gives a pretty good overview of the whole "red-headed bronze-age Hebrew people" subject, with some links.

The common belief that red hair couldn’t have existed in ancient Hebrews appears to have a long and complicated history, with various ethnic groups claiming to be “the real descendents of Abraham” and accusing other of not being. As best I understand it, all such disputes over distant ancestor are ill-founded scientifically, as good models show that nearly all humans presently living share common ancestors as recent as 1,000 years ago - see the work of Joseph T. Chang, such as the summary in this this 2004 Science News article.