Science Forums

Questions For Christians

phillip1882

Oh no, I am not the least offended. :rolleyes:

I have a bad tendancy to want to clarify again and again and again.....

That is just me.

I try to reign it in.

Some people think I'm arguing--when I'm merely trying to distinguish between what I consider Subtle yet Important Nuances.

The condition wasn't a popular diagnosis when I was in school, but several Friends tell me that I'm most probably a High-Functioning Asperger's-- I may very well be.

I am very much what I once heard referred to as: a "Verbal Literalist."

The sticky said "Stick to Theology", and I think I've done that--pretty much.

Eternal Security verses Wesleyanism is a valid Theological Argument.

"Just how much Obedience to Authority does the Bible Mandate?"

"Does the Bible teach that men Should keep their Hair cropped like a bunch of ROTC Jocks?"

"What are the Qualifications for Ministers?"

I kinda threw them out as I went along--but I think they could all be considered valid Topics for Theological debate.

Actually, I enjoyed writing that last missive--though I will strive for more Conciseness and Brevity.

Saxon Violence

Hi Pamela!

It has been a... perhaps not "fun", but at least "not boring" communication with you.

But, alas, somebody told me I was intentionally disrupting the thread with provoking statements, so I decided to abandon it since Im no interupter nor a provocateur :)

Perhaps you could restate your argument in here? I think we were discussing descriptions of God ?

Oh no, I am not the least offended. :rolleyes:

I have a bad tendancy to want to clarify again and again and again.....

That is just me.

I try to reign it in.

Some people think I'm arguing--when I'm merely trying to distinguish between what I consider Subtle yet Important Nuances.

The condition wasn't a popular diagnosis when I was in school, but several Friends tell me that I'm most probably a High-Functioning Asperger's-- I may very well be.

Cool wasn't quite sure after your response ;)

My son has Aspergers, so I will bear that in mind. I however, have often been accused of being obscure, especially when it comes to religious topics. :P

I am very much what I once heard referred to as: a "Verbal Literalist."

The sticky said "Stick to Theology", and I think I've done that--pretty much.

Eternal Security verses Wesleyanism is a valid Theological Argument.

"Just how much Obedience to Authority does the Bible Mandate?"

"Does the Bible teach that men Should keep their Hair cropped like a bunch of ROTC Jocks?"

"What are the Qualifications for Ministers?"

I kinda threw them out as I went along--but I think they could all be considered valid Topics for Theological debate.

Actually, I enjoyed writing that last missive--though I will strive for more Conciseness and Brevity.

Saxo Violence

well certainly start a new thread on a particular subject if you like, but don't feel you have to be brief :)

Hi Pamela!

It has been a... perhaps not "fun", but at least "not boring" communication with you.

But, alas, somebody told me I was intentionally disrupting the thread with provoking statements, so I decided to abandon it since Im no interupter nor a provocateur :)

Perhaps you could restate your argument in here? I think we were discussing descriptions of God ?

hmmmn i have an idea Sig, why don't you start a new thread about it. But remember,the view point is taken from religious text and the analysation thereof. It isn't about the rights or wrongs of a particular religion nor its validity :)

hmmmn i have an idea Sig, why don't you start a new thread about it. But remember,the view point is taken from religious text and the analysation thereof. It isn't about the rights or wrongs of a particular religion nor its validity :)

First: Ill think about that, I think I dislike starting too many threads.

Next: What viewpoint? And how then is truth coming into the picture?

First: Ill think about that, I think I dislike starting too many threads.

Next: What viewpoint? And how then is truth coming into the picture?

well i can start one if you like

truth? it should not come into the picture. We are simply anaylising not attributing truth or truths to religion. Your view point should be somewhere along the lines of taking ideas, concepts or excerpts from a piece of literature which in this case, would be the Bible. You could use another though, if you like. Up to you really, let me know if you want me to start a thread. But now, i must away, for espresso, torte and lively conversation awaiteth I at the local cafe.

cya later :)

well i can start one if you like

truth? it should not come into the picture. We are simply anaylising not attributing truth or truths to religion. Your view point should be somewhere along the lines of taking ideas, concepts or excerpts from a piece of literature which in this case, would be the Bible. You could use another though, if you like. Up to you really, let me know if you want me to start a thread. But now, i must away, for espresso, torte and lively conversation awaiteth I at the local cafe.

cya later :)

Ok, when Im sure of what the topic should be Ill follow your recommendation.

Meanwhile i suspect no analysis worthy of the name can be done without questions of truth coming in here and there, perhaps hidden in phrases like "your analysis of x is not valid since y". Am I supposed to believe that theologicians consider their activity not to be a research where truth comes in at various places, but an art where conformance to ideals other than truth, say: Beauty , plays the major role? Analyses produced by theologicians should be admired (or loathed) not questioned?!

I think it is necessary for us understanding a statement that we understand what should be the case if the sentence expressing the statement is true! AND! No analysis of a statement is possible if one doesnt understand the sentence expressing the statement. Right? Or have theologicians found a way around this requirement?

Hmmm... How about: Truth and Theology ... Not too bad, but would theologicians care to enter and debate?

What do you think? Would you open and debate in such a thread?