Science Forums

[Announcement] Site updates

Tormod

The Hypography server is going through a series of updates this weekend. Apologies for any problems.

There are a series of things which needs updating. This includes the forum software, so the design/layout of the boards will be reverted to default vBulletin for a while.

It was offline for quite a while...and was showing

"Our Database encountered a problem"

Old memories rushed back...i started wondering i needed to again sit and sort the threads out :steering:

Man..now since we are back to the vBullettin look...i seem to like the ....previous look klot better...Yep. :Alien:

Good job

Is it possible to know what new features are there now :)

TBA

Just a quick notice to let people know that I have done most of the upgrades now, but I have a list of to-dos related to the looks (as should be obvious).

Feel free to post bug reports here - but please don't post wish lists at this point, there is only so much time available to clean up the mess after an upgrade.

i think belovelife means that " will there be a direct access to the video links from the nav bar?, and will we be able to go fto the vid section from the gallery and vice-versa"

also, i have failed to notice the link from which we can jump into the forums directly from the portal, and the link for quizzes... dont know..

any way.. a good job on the logo :)

and heres the list of new features for those who are curious :)

Social Group Discussion Threads

• Messages in Social Groups are now threaded into 'Social Group Discussions'.
  • Discussion are sortable by creator, replies and last post.
  • Discussions can be filtered with a simple full text search on titles.Discussions are Read Marked using both database and cookie methods, with a jump to go to first new post.Users can subscribe to discussions and receive email notifications on new messages.Subscribed discussions with new posts are aggregated in the User CP.Individual Discussions have social bookmarking links (user defined, such as Digg, StumbleUpon etc).
  • oderators can Quick Edit social group messages using AJAX.
  • Posts are now ascending, which is more intuitive in threaded discussions.
  • Users can configure their groups so that only the group owner can create new discussion threads.Posts are now ascending, which is more intuitive in threaded discussions.Social Group info is hidden when entering a discussion or viewing pages of results to move focus to discussions.

• Social Group Changes
  • Social Groups are Read Marked using both database and cookie methods, based on new messages or discussions.
  • Mark All will read mark all discussions in a group via AJAX.
  • Social Groups can be subscribed to, adding group aggregation to the User CP.
  • Social Groups now belong to a category.
  • A group's category is displayed in the navigation breadcrumb, group lists and group info.
  • A new overview page displays a random group, your groups, new groups and groups that you created.
  • Groups that you created are navigatable via AJAX and display further information about the group, including pending members and moderated items.
  • A category cloud is displayed in the group overview with popularity weighting based on the number of groups.
  • Categories can be created and deleted and merged in the Admin CP.
  • Groups can be filtered by category, via the category cloud or advanced search.
  • Social Groups can now have a group icon. The icon is displayed in the group info, and a thumbnail version is used in group listings.
  • Icons are displayed on the User Profile page for groups that the user is a member of.Groups can be filtered by category, via the category cloud or advanced search.Icons can be stored in the database or filesystem.Social Groups can now be transferred between users. The group will only be transferred if the recipient accepts the transfer.

• Private Message Changeste Message Changes
    • Read receipts are automatically accepted when a PM is replied to.
    • A new Quick

[*]Read receipts are automatically accepted when a PM is replied to.

[*]A new Quick Reply can be used to reply to PM's.

[*]A new user option is available to set the default value for 'Save Copy' which is also used with Quick Reply.

[*]PM's can be ordered by Title, Date and Sender.

[*]When ordered, PM's are grouped by:

• Title - Alphabetical ranges (A-H, I-P, Q-Z, 0-9 and other) - Non ASCII chars are grouped based on transliteration where possible
    • Date - Today, Yesterday, individual day names, Last Week, 2 Weeks, Last Month, Older, etc.

Message selections are remembered over multiple pages for bulk actions (Move, delete, mark as read etc).

Profile Privacy

• With the appropriate permission, users can now configure which parts of their profile is visible, and to who. The configurable components are:
    • Profile Picture
    • Visitor Messages
    • Contact Info
    • Albums
    • About Me
    • Friends
    • Recent Visitors
    • Group Memberships
    • Custom Field Blocks where the admin has allowed it

[*]The components can be configured to be visible to:

• Everyone
    • Registered Members
    • Contacts
    • Friends

• Generally information is only hidden/displayed within the user profile page with the exception of Albums which also affects the ability to view the albums.
  • Also, custom field blocks can be configured by the admin as to whether they will be included in users' privacy settings.

Albums

• Pictures can now be moved from one album to another.
  • Album covers are regenerated when moving images if the cover is moved, or the destination album has no cover.
  • The default albums view now displays recently updated public albums.

Lightbox

• Lightboxes can now be used to view all images in a post.
  • Next and Previous buttons can be used to navigate the attachments, and wrap when the first/last image has been reached

• Other Changes and Additions
  • Username availability now checked via AJAX during registrationPM Reporting.Quick Edit is available for Visitor Messages and Picture Comments, as well as Social Group Messages.Improvements to Contact List editing. Show Avatars option is now preserved.

I doubt if the other features are needed, but e here they are any way :)

I like it :)

TBA

There are also a lot of new feature for the blogs, which have been upgraded to version 2.

Some of the new features in Blog 2 include:

Blog Customization - users may customize their blogs in the same manner that they can customize their user profiles (introduced in 3.7).

Group Blogs - users may allow other users to post to their blog.

Sidebar Blocks - users may create custom blocks to display in their sidebar. These blocks can be rearranged by drag and drop.

Custom Pages - users may create custom pages to be displayed in their blog.

Tags - tag support has been included.

Featured Entry Manager - multiple entries can be featured on the blog home page now.

Private Entries - users may set specific entries to be private while leaving their blog open.

Admin Categories - admins may define categories now.

More info:

vBulletin Blog 2.0.0 Release - vBulletin Community Forum

As for the site navigation, I am not finished yet - there are a lot of tiny details to take care of.