3 replies to this topic

#1 zadojla

zadojla

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 12:24 AM

Have any of you bought a book you already own? I nearly did this (again) the other day.

If you have:
Had you read it, or not read it yet? Recently?

Was it a different edition, with a different cover?

#2 sanctus

sanctus

Resident Diabolist

• Administrators
  • 4255 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 03:30 AM

I collect comics (italian ones I don't think you know Dylan Dog, there are about 220, with one coming out every month), I started collecting them when they where already at 140, so it arrived me 3 times that I bought I already had in my collection, because the first pages didn't remind of nothing and I didn't want to look further into them as I believe it is a "sacrilege" to read somewhere where you haven't read what happened before.

With book it never arrived, mainly because I seldom buy books, I borrow them and take them from my dad...

#3 Buffy

Buffy

Resident Slayer

• Administrators
  • 8946 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 03:59 AM

I do it all the time. I had a *huge* library that burned up in a fire. I never remember whether I rebought it after the fire or not. If I buy something I've already got, I give it away as a present. I don't think I've ever bought a book that I'd read that I don't remember though, which may have been your question, unless its like a reference book or something. Books tend to burn themselves indelibly into my brain....

Cheers,
Buffy

#4 Tormod

Tormod

Hypographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14353 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 05:51 AM

My wife has managed to buy me three copies of Harlan Coben's crime novel "One False Move" (in the space of one month). But I only read the first one.

But the only book that springs to mind is Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, which I lost long ago and bought last year to read again (it's still on my reading list).

I do however read books twice - most of my science fiction books are reread after about 10 years.