Science Forums

A little iffy about an action

Queso

I played both your pieces while I did some paper work today. I listened to Limp probably 3 times in a row though; I like that one the better of the 2.

Glad to hear you say Tormod that you have the Katabatak Music on the back burner; have you visited the thread since I added spaces for you to make music notation? If you need any info the thread doesn't supply, just drop me a note. Orb, your invited to try & make music of my math as well; Katabatk Math thread.

You are 9 hours behind me there in Oslo Tormod; when your up, I'm down. I kinda been hauntin' this place & the comings & goings of people is interesting in itself. Oh hey; hope you don't mind I brought a little fridge in here. We might want to chill somethin'. Well, it's 1:30am here & time to retire. Thanks for settin' up the lounge Tormod. Night all. :)

Turtle, your avatar is upside down! :D

Sorry for not keeping up with the Katabatak thread...I figure it's there when I have the time to follow it up. I've been haunted by a sore throat for about a week now so things are a bit slow.

I tried to record some vocals yesterday, with okay results, except that my voice completely broke and I can hardly speak today. :)

Okay, since we're on the topic of recording.

Orb, what do you use for editing the vocal recordings? Ie, the recorded tracks? I was using Ableton Live to record, but it has little in the way of editing the audio apart from chopping it up, changing pitch, stretching etc. I need to polish my take a bit to remove hiss and also try to get a bit more even levels.

I downloaded the Adobe Audition 1.5 trial yesterday and was pretty much blown away...I loaded my vocal take into it, clicked some buttons at random :), then applied a studio reverb and WOW the track sounded completely different.

Audition is a bit beyond my budget at $299 (I could buy a really good mic for that money) but I do have some FX plugins. Do you have any advice on how to work with a vocal track? What software do you use...do you do everything in Pro Tools? I need to find a decent audio editor, I guess.

BTW I do all this on my PC since I have no effects plugins on my Mac apart from those built into Ableton Live.

yes. i do do everything in pro tools. and what's a bummer about PT is that the CHEAPEST system is like 500$ :-O

they have this thing called "pro tools free" available on their site, it's like a demo, check it out.

you could always download it too, if you know what i mean. i don't know how well those versions work though.

i have heard Cool edit pro, is a good software program, but i have never used it.

check out these vocals:

http://www.mediapimp.net/jason/reggaejjm.mp3

all that is, is delay, reverb, and compression. along with a deEsser.

i also duplicated the track, and made the pitch one octave higher, to make it seem like there was another track harmonizing. also, i adjusted the timing, so it's not perfect, it gives the mix a sense of "groove"

that song though, me and some of my friends made just for fun like a year ago.

compression is a must though. it levels out your volume so it's always the same.

as well as equalization. you don't need to know much about EQing, just mess with it and cut out all the muddy frequencies, and boost some of the highs. give them some clarity.

i would love to help you out though, your music is awesome.

The pro tools free is so old now it won't work on Windows XP. :)

And Adobe Audition is the next generation of Cool Edit Pro which is no longer available. Adobe bought it and made it even better, but it also got more expensive.

Thanks for the tips on vocal track treatment. I promise to post something when I get something together. My voice still needs to recover...

That is one cool song you posted! Reminds me of a late night evening in Amsterdam.

I downloaded the Adobe Audition 1.5 trial yesterday and was pretty much blown away...

I'm to lazy to look it up. What plug-in standards does it support?

I'm way behind the times, since I moved into a much smaller crib a year ago and my racks are all in storage. Before a nasty fire (Oakland 1991, for those of you who've heard of it) I had a mean multi-multitrack *tape* setup (anyone remember "tape"? plastic stuff? comes in a box, sometimes called "cassette" or "reel-to-reel" or (if you're really old), 8-track?). Since then I've stuck mostly with "sequencer-to-lotsa-rack-mounted-stuff-to-16-sterero-track-mixer-to-stereo-A/D-to-hard-disk"... *very* baroque.

I've always called this stuff a black hole for money, and if you walk into Guitar Center and have to ask how much it is, you're in trouble. Mortgage the house, borrow from the kids college fund, use Yvonne's cookie jar, but its probably worth it. You'll be glad you did!

Oh, yeah, that fire nailed my guitar collection, and the VERY first thing I bought was a brand new Les Paul. We have to have our priorities.

Cheers,

Buffy

I'm to lazy to look it up. What plug-in standards does it support?

Ah, the usual...VST is most important for me.

Here is a full list:

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/newfeatures.html

I found a legit copy (hopefully!) at eBay for $140 so I just ordered it. :D

I'm way behind the times, since I moved into a much smaller crib a year ago and my racks are all in storage. Before a nasty fire (Oakland 1991, for those of you who've heard of it)

Yeah, I actually remember that. I happened to visit San Francisco in April 1991 and visited UC at Berkeley. Some friends of mine were studying there when the forestorm happened.

Oh, yeah, that fire nailed my guitar collection, and the VERY first thing I bought was a brand new Les Paul. We have to have our priorities.

Definitely! :)

Sounds like you have a lot of cool gear. I think the tide is turning slightly. Everyone sold all their stuff a few years back. Now they buy it back at eBay... :D

I only owned a few amps and some pedals. Well, I *did* study classical guitar, so the gadget disease wasn't too heavy. Jazz/fusion has also not required me to own a lot of stuff. But when the computer music revolution entered my home I spent more cash on software than I've ever spent on hardware... :)

Yule drool. I'm an analog head. Pre-fire had an Arp 2600 and a couple of Oberheim goodies (ObXa and a Matrix6), and played with much more. Have a broken OBMx (not Tom Oberheim, Don Buchla!), a rare Marion (Tom O's last box), and a Roland JD-800 among some more common stuff (Nord rack, etc.). I live to make my own sounds and frob those dials and sliders.

When again rich, will start buying those Moog components you can get now from Bob...

Oh, and yes. You MUST get a tube amp. Of course I favor Marshalls...Yvonne might object though, a full stack will take out all the windows in the house when "turned down to 10."

Cheers,

Buffy