Science Forums

Absolute vs. Relative motion

pgrmdave

To my previous post above, I just want to add that you are advised to read not only the page that I cited in the link, but the next two in sequence as well, in order to grasp the impossibility of using quantum entanglement to circumvent Einsteinian causation limitation.

Anyway... our Coordinated Universal Time is plenty accurate enough that if it had been feasible to transcend lightspeed causality we would've already definitively demonstrated it between (for example) New York and LA.

I haven't read the SciAm article or anything else, but come on -- those yokels are just looking to sell magazines by titilating the imagination. There's no substance as yet to any claims of superluminal information transmission.

No sir I will not. I've stepped over no line. I'll say what I please and if some despot doesn't like it then they can PROMPTLY expel me from this forum. Go ahead... make my day.

You think calling people fools and despots is acceptable, do you? Well, I don't.

If it makes your day, then fine.

Well, this discussion is a bit useless because you are all right. Quantum entaglement works, it has been made (my QM professor did over a couple of kilometers, search on the universtiy of geneva site http://www.unige.ch, then look for GAP and then you'll find the proof), but there is a proven therorem that it can't be used for transmitting information faster than light.

In the case of teleportation I can easily explain it: when you mesure one of the two entagled particles, you have to tell to the receiver which mesure you made, because otherwise the state will be right one (ie then one you wanted to teleport) close to an unitary transformation (if state is determined by its spin, then the teleported state has the same spin, but is turned around).

I hope that helped to solve the problem.

Well, this discussion is a bit useless because you are all right. Quantum entaglement works... <snip />

Wow! Everyone right? How'd THAT happen! :hyper:

I actually made no claims about faster than light transmission of information, I know ya gotta be sitting next to the qubit with a really big hammer to get its information out of it.... "We want...information!" "You won't get it!"

Cheers,

Buffy