Science Forums

Minesweeper

Jay-qu

You guys are waaaaay too hung up on BEST score. Godfrey Daniel, all you got to do is get -- by chance -- an expert board with most of the mines all scrunched up in one glob and -- POOF!! -- you got a best score lower than anyone can ever hope to beat.

I say that AVERAGE score is a better marker for expertise and mind-boggling skill. My winning scores are ALWAYS under 200 seconds. My average winning score is under 175.

• 1 month later...

Started playing again the other week and made another slight breakthrough:

Beginner: 5

Intermediate: 38

Expert: 125

and yes pyro my averages are improving :turtle: I manage to finish most games under 200

I just looked back and my Beginner and Expert scores have both halved since the first post :) and intermediate isnt to far off either..

Damn, I think my best Easy is like 7 or 9 seconds, something like that. I can never do Intermediate or Hard though because I always get to a point where I can't decide if it's 1 spot or the other, and it's the deciding factor between life and death.

Kutan, on the minesweeper sites (you find the links somewhere in this thread) they give a good hint: when you are not sure don't hesitate it makes you only loose time. But the intermediate usually works without luck...maybe you haven't figured out all patterns yet, on the links you find also some patterns..good luck

I have noticed an unusual thing with the Expert games. Often, there will be a pattern where exactly one of two cells must be a Mine, but it could be either. One would think that on average, you could guess and be right 50% of the time.

Not me. In those specific instances where it looks like a 50/50 shot, I am WRONG about 80% of the time. Any ideas on this?????

I have noticed an unusual thing with the Expert games. Often, there will be a pattern where exactly one of two cells must be a Mine, but it could be either. One would think that on average, you could guess and be right 50% of the time.

Not me. In those specific instances where it looks like a 50/50 shot, I am WRONG about 80% of the time. Any ideas on this?????

Your computer is evil... and since it knows that you're guessing, it places the mine under that square. :)

Hahahaa. I've noticed the same thing, and it makes me really mad.

Your computer is evil... and since it knows that you're guessing, it places the mine under that square. :)

Hahahaa. I've noticed the same thing, and it makes me really mad.

So it's not just me!!

I even trained myself to randomly pick a square, and every other time, switch to the OTHER square. I'm still wrong 80%.

Grrrrrrr.

Pyrotex, try picking a random square and before you click it, choose the opposite one instead. Keep the computer on it's toes. But don't do it all of the time; maybe roll a 6 sided die and if it lands on a prime or odd number, you roll 2, 20 sided dice, if the remainder of the highest number divided by the lowest number is a decimal, take that decimal and multiply it by the amount you got on the 6 sided die (rounding to the nearest whole number) and alternate between the 2 boxes that amount of times. If it's not a decimal, skip to the process of alternating between the two boxes that amount of times.

I guess if the 6 sided die landed on an even number, either repeat the process given for the prime/odd number or just alternate between the 2 boxes that amount of times.

Wow Kutan, if you play like that I guess you never make good scores...

:shrug:

I know exactly what you mean Pyro - if I come down to a spot that must be a 50/50 guess to continue I just leave it and come back to it last. Which is a silly thing to do really, since you may as well guess and get on with it! I dont think this is subjective probability, from now on I will document these occurances :hihi:

So how are your scores sanctus, am i competitive with you yet?

Wow Kutan, if you play like that I guess you never make good scores...

Nope, I've only made a semi-good Easy score and that's it.. Don't think I've ever completed Expert.. But that's not why I don't complete it, I just felt like making up some really, overly-complicated set of things to do because I was... Bored? Yeah, that's probably it.

So it's not just me!!

I even trained myself to randomly pick a square, and every other time, switch to the OTHER square. I'm still wrong 80%.

Grrrrrrr.

You are going on faith that the location of all the bombs is indeed predetermined, and it is not screwing with you as you click into unresolved areas. A clever programmer could recognize the guess situation and make the program impossible to beat.

Bill