Science Forums

Physics Question?

taki

A student performs Coulomb's classic experiment. Shes adds Y coulomb of positive charge to a small metal sphere that is suspended by a thread. Shes adds X coulomb of positive charge to a small metal sphere that is held on a glass rod. She positions the X coulomb sphere as indicated in the diagram and because like charges repel eachother the Y coulomb sphere is pushed out to the right.

Calculate the mass of the Y coulomb spere. hint:It is bigger than you might guess.

angle=30 degrees

X = 3

Y = 6

l

l 30 cm

l

l

O O

X Y

Anyone? Maybe someone can tell me if I am to determine the mass, do I only consider the forces in the x-direction. Or the sum of the forces in both directions. I would think F=mg would be enough to relate the coulmb force sphere Y "feels" and mass of the sphere. However I think maybe the tension should be considered. Someone please help.

Ok buddy, slow down, your questions will be answered, you just need to give us some time :cup:

From what I can surmise of your diagram, the Y sphere has been pushed out and now subtends a 30 degree angle with the vertical - is this correct?

Yes 30cm is .3m :shrug:

Yes, sorry the diagram is not so good.

Assuming a few things along the way, this is what I have got to:

YES, that is exactly right. First mistake I made was I used tan instaed of sin (thanks).

Now since I can calulate the Coulomb's force on Y, can I relate it to F=mg? I am concerned that maybe I didn't consider all the forces in the X and Y direction, like tension. Then again when I think about "mg" it seems it only has do with the Y direction.

For problems involving three forces in equilibrium (like these) you can use the wonderful Lami's theorem.

I'll use JQ's picture as a reference.

The forces [math]T[/math], [math]c[/math] and [math]mg[/math] are in equilibrium.

By the usage of elementary geometry, you'll figure that there's an angle of 30+90 = 120 degrees between [math]c[/math] and [math]T[/math].

Ofcourse, that's when you assume that [math]c[/math] and [math]mg[/math] are at 90 degrees to each other. What remains is the angle between [math]T[/math] and [math]mg[/math], and it's 360 - (120 + 90) = 150 degrees.

Now the only thing remaining for you to do is use Lami's theorem (for three forces in equilibrium)

It's going to be written out as:

[math] \frac{T}{Sin90} = \frac{mg}{Sin120} = \frac{c}{Sin150} [/math]

Use the values you know, and find all the unknowns. For more info on Lami's theorem, do see the wiki link I've given.