Science Forums

A few random questions from a budding pyrotechnician.

Zolgar

No I'm not going to ask how to make flash paper, or flash powder. I have information on those.

This particular set of questions pertaining to changing the color of alcahols flames. The information I have on this subject comes from the book "Modern Chemical Magic", and is unfortunately lacking.

According to this book, the following chemicals have the noted result on the color:

Potassium Nitrate, yellow

Sodium Chlorate, yellow

Sodium Chloride, yesllow

Borax, green

Barium Nitrate, green

Copper Nitrate, green

Boric Acid, green

Lithium Chloride, purple

Calcium Chloride, orange

Strontium Nitrate, red

Potassium Chlorate, violet

The only one I've had an occasion to poke with is borax, which I haven't been able to get any result out of.

As such, my questions are as follows:

1: Will any flammable alcahol do, or does it need to be something special.

2: What's the ratio (approximate or exact) of chemical to alcahol.

And as a bonus question: Will any of them have the same reaction in naptha?

And as a bonus question: Will any of them have the same reaction in naptha?

Probably not : alcohol is sufficiently polar to dissolve al these mineral salts; naphta is apolar, will dissolve fats but not minerals.

As for the availability of these minerals : sodium chloride is simply salt (kichen salt, table salt or whiever name you give it). Calciumchloride is the salt they spray on icy roads. Boric acid should be available at any local pharmacist : it's a standard cure for sweaty feet. Check wikipedia to find applications for any of these minerals, that may give you a clue where to find them. And forget about the sodium chlorate : it is a rather dangerous product. (The wikipedia articles on the common chemical products include the hazards that come with them).