Science Forums

Children of Men

InfiniteNow

This was wonderful. Not cheesy, pretty dark, yet smart, and completely engrossing. Set in the not all too distant future, human females no longer fertile, they celebrate the youngest human... born more than 18 years ago. Then, one becomes pregnant, and the militia/terrorists which began with good intent want to user her as a pawn to assist their uprising.

Violent clash between military and populace, immigrants locked in Auschwitz conditions... well written, well acted, and amazing cinematography ta boot.

If you haven't seen it, go. :confused:

City of Men

"Children of Men" - The Best Movie of the Year? (95% Positive Reviews)

"Children of Men", the new movie starring Clive Owen and Julianne Moore, is getting very positive reviews (95% Positive on Rotten Tomatoes). There have been 77 reviews counted so far, and 73 of those have been positive.

Digg - "Children of Men" - The Best Movie of the Year? (95% Positive Reviews)

I don't think it has opened here yet?

I do have a gripe against Sci fi movies set in the future.

That is :- The Future Is Always Dark, Grim, Polluted and Miserable (eg Blade Runner etc)

How about a future where we Solve All The Problems; the boy gets the girl ; and everyone lives happily ever after?

Give me Dr Who or Star Trek first series. Even Buffy and Angel (SF??) and those cowborys in the sky thing that Joss Wheldon did; you know; Whats it's name!! -Firefly have some fun (mainly kicking arse?):confused:

No it was Serenity? i think.

he treatment that Firefly received at the hands of Fox executives has caused Whedon to state that he refuses to work with Fox again, under any circumstances.[

wiki on wheldon.

Good move, many Ozzies would be happier if they didn't work with Murdock either, but he owns the media circus.

Yes I agree very well done movie, gloomy and depressing indeed. I wonder how people would live their lives if they knew they were the last generation of our species.

Would you live the same way?? :mickmouse: ... or would you be completely depressed and would have no motivation for living?

I think its an interesting psychological question that draws upon what it means to be a species and what life is. I hope we never come close to this scenario but remember its been estimated that if Germany didnt have immigration for the next 100 years its population would shrink from 80mil to 25mil, and its also been estimated that Japans population would become extinct in the next couple hundren years at current birth rates. Perhaps the world will experiance this sort of scenario at a slow pace as modern lifestyle reaches all the corners of the globe.

Yes I agree very well done movie, gloomy and depressing indeed.

I saw it as hopeful... I guess the whole "eye of the beholder" thing and all..

I wonder how people would live their lives if they knew they were the last generation of our species.

Probably much the same as they do now. It's unfortunate, but many approach the world as if it's ending, instead of as if it's a place where they can offer improvement.

Perhaps the world will experiance this sort of scenario at a slow pace as modern lifestyle reaches all the corners of the globe.

What do you mean by "modern lifestyle?"

The movie was good for many reasons. One of them, for me anyway, is that it wasn't just drivel filmed to appeal to the center of the bell curve. It was brave, and confident, and drew on emotions most of us are too afraid to face.

Filme noir? Non... Filme intellectuelle... :mickmouse:

What do you mean by "modern lifestyle?"

Well its no surprise that all the countries with the lowest birth rate are the most developed countries. Things like condoms, abortion, and people choosing to buy more 'things' vs having more kids and spending wealth on them. Most modern families have one to three kids, not like in the old days when a dozen seemed like a norm.

btw. how bout that ending of the movie .. i don't wanna spoil anything but it did not resolve much for me anyways, and it just made you ask more questions then it resolved.

The ending sucked.

******SPOILER WARNING****

I wouldn't even call it an ending so much, I mean you don't even know if "tomorrow" is the right boat, or if she's gonna be disected for the good of humanity. The whole "it's a baby!" cease-fire thing was also very lame, but that being said I'll get to what I liked about the movie:

The main character(s) are "red-shirts". That in of itself breaks away from the commonly executed 'Hero' theme.

The "Good Guy" and "Bad guy" organisations are only hinted at, and never really take feild in the movie. The human project is nebulous at best, and the british government is simply "assumed", never really gone into in any detail.

All the action of the movie takes place in the middle ground, drawing it's characters from the 'lower lot in life'. From the lead, to the stoner, to the fashist pig, to the bag-lady, and back again it's things you would see in daily life.

******END SPOILER WARNING****