theblackalchemist

a question

how much quarks

with their flavours please
/forums/images/smilies/banana_sign.gif
are there in an electron and neutron ?

TBA

A quiz! And I’m the first one here!

A neutron consists of 3 quarks, an Up and 2 Downs. Quarks are fundamental particles

An electron is a fundamental particle. It contains no quarks, or other particles.

I answered from memory – honest. For more info, the wikipedia article standard model is a good place to start.

A quiz! And I’m the first one here!

A neutron consists of 3 quarks, an Up and 2 Downs. Quarks are fundamental particles

An electron is a fundamental particle. It contains no quarks, or other particles.

Quite true, an electron is in the lepton family and is just as fundamental as a quark.

This could lead to the next question: What is a preon.....................?

Preon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

..........................Infy

There believe there are 6: Up, down, bottom, top, strange and charm. Dont ask where the names came from :shrug:

where do they come from ? :shrug::lol::shrug::lol:

i am serious any idea anyone where do they come from ?

Murray Gell-Mann, one of the originators of the quark model, came up with both the name “quark” (he took it from one of the many semi-nonsense words in Joyce’s “Finnegans Wake”) and the 6 predicted particles.

At some point, people started calling the Top and Bottom quarks “Truth and Beauty”, legend has it because they wanted to call an accelerator at Cornell used to generate B quarks “the Beauty Factory”, not “the Bottom Factory”. Legend then has it that, around 1977 when all the quarks had been observed but the T quark, people started joking “the quark model lacks Truth!”, and people started calling it “Top” again to make this lame joke go away.

Another story is that Top and Bottom were preferred to Truth and Beauty because, they’re similar to Up and Down, making it easier to remember their position in the chart of quarks, though this story fails to explain why the S and C quarks are called Strange and Charm, rather than something easy to remember like “Low and High”.

Since each quark’s name starts with a unique letter, it’s really not important what name is used, as long as it starts with the right letter. Anybody who know enough about them to care will know what you’re talking about.