Science Forums

Gah!! I need help ASAP with me review!

Okay I have midterms coming up, my math teacher wont help for **** and Im worried because I dont really get this and my exam is on Wed.....plus it doesnt help that I misplaced my notes somewhere :cup: .I asked my dad, he doesnt remember so Im hoping someone here will remember trigonometry/precal stuff.

@ = my ghetto version of theta :turtle:

First question:

How do you you find the first derivitive of the following equation...

y = -7x^3 + 9x^2 + 3x -8

2nd:

Write the equation of the line tangent to the graph of f(x)= 4x^2 - 7x + 2

at (1,-1)...express in y=mx +b form

3rd:

State the quadrant where sec @ > 0 and tan @ < 0

4th:

If (-3.-4) is a point on the terminal side of @ , sketch a right triangle and find the six trigonometric functions of @

5th and final:

Evaluate the following :

cos 17/6 pi

cot pi/2

csc 5/3 pi

sin(pi)

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to take the challenge

Well, for the first one, you need to know that the the derivative of an equation with form ax^b is equal to abx^(b-1), and the derivative of a constant is zero (because the slope of a constant never changes).

For the second one, remember that the derivative gives you the instantaneous slope. So first find the derivative, find the slope at the point, then find the y-intercept.

3,4,and 5 simply require that you remember your unit circle. You do remember your unit circle, right?

Well, for the first one, you need to know that the the derivative of an equation with form ax^b is equal to abx^(b-1), and the derivative of a constant is zero (because the slope of a constant never changes).

For the second one, remember that the derivative gives you the instantaneous slope. So first find the derivative, find the slope at the point, then find the y-intercept.

3,4,and 5 simply require that you remember your unit circle. You do remember your unit circle, right?

Yes, I get it....but thats not the derivitives I was talking about...or perhaps you just used a different formula. The unit circle stuff is easy...I got this down. thnx