Science Forums

Dynamic Tension

Dynamic tension is a system of exercises created and marketed by the famous muscleman Charles Atlas.

Dynamic tension is a technique based on the repeated tightening of certain muscule groups in order to gain strength in that particular area.

The science channel recently aired a show on bodybuilding, and dynamic tension was breifly discussed.

What scientific evidence, if any, is there to back up the claims of Charles Atlas' program.

What would cause this system to be successful or unsuccessful (medically)?

Are there dangers?

Has anyone here tried this method?

I smell an experiment in the near future. :offtopic:

Dynamic tension is a system of exercises created and marketed by the famous muscleman Charles Atlas.

Dynamic tension is a technique based on the repeated tightening of certain muscule groups in order to gain strength in that particular area.

The science channel recently aired a show on bodybuilding, and dynamic tension was breifly discussed.

What scientific evidence, if any, is there to back up the claims of Charles Atlas' program.

What would cause this system to be successful or unsuccessful (medically)?

Are there dangers?

Has anyone here tried this method?

I smell an experiment in the near future. :offtopic:

Mmmm...the term 'dynamic tension' sounds like 'isometric' exercise, that is using the muscle without movement. While there are unique benefits to this type of exercise (which escape my memory just now), isometrics are best combined with plyometric, myometric, and aerobic routines. Same as one approaches good eating habits with a balanced diet.

:Whistle:

plyometric - encyclopedia article about plyometric.

PS A web search for 'myometric exercise' turns up no pertinent results for me. :sherlock: It was used to describe a specific set of exercises in a book I had back in the 60's, but perhaps the term has fallen out of favor.

Hmmmm.... interesting information Turtle.

Mmmm...the term 'dynamic tension' sounds like 'isometric' exercise, that is using the muscle without movement. While there are unique benefits to this type of exercise (which escape my memory just now), isometrics are best combined with plyometric, myometric, and aerobic routines. Same as one approaches good eating habits with a balanced diet.

I also just visited good 'ol wiki.

Here's what it has to say:

A common misconception is that Charles Atlas' exercises were isometric exercises. While some were isometric, the majority did call for movement.