Science Forums

Electromagnet

gotpho

I'm doing a project on "What Factors Affect the Strength of an Electromagnet?"

I'm in highschool so I kind of need a highschool level idea:D I mean just testing the coil is really easy. I plan on testing the voltage on a electromagnet but that's really all i got as an idea to test my project.

Help please.

I'm doing a project on "What Factors Affect the Strength of an Electromagnet?"

I'm in highschool so I kind of need a highschool level idea:D I mean just testing the coil is really easy. I plan on testing the voltage on a electromagnet but that's really all i got as an idea to test my project.

Help please.

Try making coils using different gauge wires and keeping the voltage constant. Or, using the same gauge, try making coils with different lengths of wire. Or, vary the length of the axis of your coil. :shrug:

Watts, Amps, Volts, and Ohms. These are your key variables for an Electromagnet.

Formulas and Calculation

You can mess with these things in a variety of ways. Increase Resistence by increasing the tempature of the wire. This can be achieved in a number ways also, by artifical heating, or by putting more amps through a wire than it is rated for (careful, this can be dangerous depending on how much and how long).

The thickness of a wire helps determine the number of amps you can put through at any given time. A thicker wire means more amps. Conductance of the wire also comes into question, as it can determine the amount of voltage you can put through at any given time.

Copper wire is better, for example, than Iron. Gold better than silver, and silver better than copper (I do believe, though I would need to double check). This goes back to the heat issue. Each material has a different index of heat tolerance. Each one accumilates resistence at a different rate than the other. If I am not mistaken.

Well that's all I can think of for now. Have fun and be safe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ya, I know it's been a month and I just started my project:D

At my first attempt with a 9 V battery I barely got 2 paper clip with just 14 coil.

With a 1.5 volt battery i got 1 paper coil with 14 coil

Are my results normal?

Should I take the skin off the copper wire?

Do I need like 100 coils to get a long chain?

Try using smaller peices of iron to pick up.

What is the core that you're winding the wires around? And how are you doing it exactly?

Don't take the skin off the copper wire, it's not nessecary to do so and winding the copper wires will become a very difficult task anyway.

Remember: More the number of coils, and smaller the length of the electromagnet, the stronger your magnet will be.

You're making a 'solenoid', and the magnetic feild that you'll form depends directly on the number of coils per unit length.