Science Forums

The Old versus New Messiah

HydrogenBond

This is a little controversial, but what the heck. Before Christ began his ministry, he went to fast in the desert for 40days. Toward the end of that period, Satan appears to tempt Jesus. One of the temptations involved taking Jesus to a high mountain and showing him the kingdoms of the earth. Satan says something like, 'if you bow down to me I will give you all these kingdoms'.

Had Jesus taken the offer, he would have become something analogous to the Messiah that the Jews were expecting. He would have been rich and powerful, and therefore able to restore the material glory of Isreal beyond even Solomon. But to do this he would have had to bow down to Satan. He was an educated Jew and knew that everyone was expecting the Messiah to be rich and powerful. But by not taking the deal he essentially jumped the Messiah to a higher level, i.e., cuts out the middleman (Satan was the prince of the earth). The logical implication of this is that the Jewish faith of the Old testament was mediated by Satan, which would have been maximized if Jesus bowed to Satan.

Satan in the old testament was different than Satan in the New Testament. In the old testament, Satan was both good and evil, similar the union of opposites in eastern philosophy. In mathematical terms Satan of the old Testament was 0.5 good and 0.5 evil. In the new testament, after prophesies, Satan's parameters change so he becomes 0.0 good and 1.0 evil. But most people believe that prophesies have yet to happen, since many things have yet to appear. If this is true, than Satan is currently something like 0.25 good and 0.75 evil. Not fully 1.0 evil until prophesies happens.

The possible implication is that Christianity historically overplayed the evil in modern Satan, i.e., assume post revelations 1.0 evil instead of pre revelations 0.75. While Judaism has historically overplayed the good in modern Satan, i.e., assume 0.5 old testament Satan instead of 0.25 modern Satan. Judeo-Christianty sets up a tension to help tweak and differentiate the debatable 0.25 in question. This tension is maintained by having two Messiahs.