Science Forums

Is the bible a dictionary

Eilizsia

Since the bible has an index that descrides words.

We read the word and the bible tells us the meaning of that word through a type of rational example.

A dictionary works in a similar way.

so..

Was the Bible the worlds first dictionary, and then someone created the actual dictionary for a specific country.... After all where did the bible learn the words from and the meanings for those words....

Did god Invent the words, in the bible index, such words as marriage etc.

Then bible teaches the meanings behind a situation, revolved around a Word that simplifies the meaning. Who would have decided that a word in the bible would mean one specific thing, instead of a word having many meanings.

What was the first bible....was it A dictionary....The bible works in the same way as a dictionary.

Over time, new words come into place..

What im am really asking is,,,,,Did the bible have its own dictionary, after all their must be a specific language of god, the alphabet maybe....

Does god have a specific language that isnt the same as any spoken on the earth...If so, does god have his own alphabet and dictionary, to help us know in the bible what things really mean.....

Language is very difficult....

Is the Bible a dictionary, aswell as giving the examples of the specific meanings, to words in a Morel story or Philosify.

I cant really grasp what im On to here. But I know theres a reason to ask this question....I just cant focus on the exact Idea im getting at. Its not a conpsiracy theory im getting at....Im trying to work out

1, What was the first ever bible,

2, was it somekind of Dictionary that dictates meanings to things.

3,Is the bible a Dictionary, or was it once a kind dictionary that was suposed to teach the meanings to things, in a language no-one speakes now.

4, This seems to be a topic im going to think strong about.

It teels us in the bible that there was one language, and god split up the True language so we could not understand eachother.

Please help me to understand what Im trying to get at with this thread.

I will be great full for anyone giving thier views on this topic.

Thank you.

Since the bible has an index that descrides words.

We read the word and the bible tells us the meaning of that word through a type of rational example.

Not all Bibles have indexes. Most of the “Standard” ones, such as the King James version, don’t.

I suspect Eilizsia is referring to one of the several annotated Bibles, where an editor has added information to help the reader read and understand the Bible

Was the Bible the worlds first dictionary, and then someone created the actual dictionary for a specific country....
Almost certainly, no.

The Bible wasn’t written all at once. The oldest parts of the Bible – the Pentateuch, or first 5 verses of the Old Testament – was written in Hebrew between 1000 and 400 BC. Written Hebrew came from earlier written languages dating back to about 2000 BC, and religious texts similar to the early Bible were around at least 1000 years before writing of the Bible started.

After all where did the bible learn the words from and the meanings for those words....

Did god Invent the words, in the bible index, such words as marriage etc.

That’s a very deep question, that it’s unlikely science will be able to answer anytime soon.

One thing, however, is clear from archeological evidence – people were speaking words long before they were writing them. How long, it’s hard to tell, because, obviously, no written record exists, but 10,000 -100,000 years seems a reasonable guess.

The first recognizable dictionaries – words listed in alphabetical order so you can find them, with short “definitions” explaining each one, appeared around 300 BC for the Chinese language (which doesn’t exactly use an alphabet), and 1 AD in Latin (which used pretty much the one we use now).

1, What was the first ever bible,
I think the oldest one we know about is the Enuma Elish, written about 7000 BC in the now-dead Akkadian language. Older ones likely exists, but have been lost.
2, was it somekind of Dictionary that dictates meanings to things.
I don’t think so, for the reasons I gave above. The main purpose of ancient religious texts seem to be to explain how the world people see came to exist, and how it works. All of the ancient texts I’ve heard of explain this in terms of gods or a god older than mankind.
3,Is the bible a Dictionary, or was it once a kind dictionary that was suposed to teach the meanings to things, in a language no-one speakes now.
Almost all of the original languages of the oldest bibles are no longer spoken today. Even Hebrew, which many people speak today, is so different from its ancient version, that a person speaking ancient Hebrew and a person speaking modern Hebrew would barely if at all be able to understand one another.
It teels us in the bible that there was one language, and god split up the True language so we could not understand eachother.
The “Tower of Babel” story, and the idea that all humans once spoke one language, is common to many ancient and modern religions. Science suggests, however, that humans started using language tens of centuries before they started building cities and towers, and that isolated tribes likely had their own languages. As these tribes expanded and encountered others, common languages were developed, and eventually became the earliest known languages. As some tribes grew to become early great nations, such as

Sumer[wiki] and [wiki]ancient Egypt, their common languages became dominant. Languages, such as Hebrew, started as dialect of them, eventually becoming so dissimilar that they were separate languages.

No single, catastrophic event appears to mark the split of the many languages and language families from a single language, and to this day, a few odd, isolate languages appear to be completely unrelated to the major language families.

The origin of language is a huge subject that one can spend years studying. If you’re interested, Eilizsia, follow some of the links in this post, and keep going. Be cautioned that, while many people believe the Bible to be infallibly true, most scientists trust only theories that can be substantiated by physical evidence, and that most of the older stories in the Bible lack such evidence, and in many cases, appear scientifically impossible.

The origin of an initial singular language, i.e, pre-Babel, would be possible if the initial appearance of modern humans was not a global change but a narrow mututation of sorts. In the animal kingdom selective advantage is not normally assumed to be an immediate collective affect where a whole herd changes, but more of an individual affect that gradually changes the herd. With advanced human culture sort of popping up quickly, one can see how it is possible a single human mutated apart from prehumans. The bible calls him Adam. He learns to talk and eventually others are able to do more than grunt by copying him. If Adam was the first progressive mutant, he would have a selective advantage leading the group and being the leader in language. As crossbreeding advanced, other mutant humans appear and language begins to differentiate. All this babbling made birds of a feather flock together spreading out humanity to mingle and breed with the prehumans who were stuck in the past.

With advanced human culture sort of popping up quickly, one can see how it is possible a single human mutated apart from prehumans. The bible calls him Adam. He learns to talk and eventually others are able to do more than grunt by copying him.
This makes as much sense as any origin of language theory I’ve heard. I can’t imagine how one could scientifically prove it, other than perhaps via some next generation of mathematical genetics, but theology threads are by their nature speculative, usually much more than this one.

In his 1992 novel “Snow Crash” (which I highly recommend), Neal Stephenson wrote that language was invented by a single Sumerian man who came to be called Enki – literally “king of the Earth” , who over time became a deity in Sumerian mythology. According to Stephenson, the tool of language was so useful and transforming of human society, that it was considered magic, each sentence a sort of spell, or nam-shub. (Enki and nam-shub are actual ancient Sumerian words/concepts, the ”nam-shub of Enki” an actual, translated ancient document – websearching on it will show that, largely because of “Snow Crash”, it’s been much reinterpreted by technophiles, etc.) In this story, many early language-using humans were so influential that they were later remembered as gods.

I’ve been told by sociologist friends that, to intelligently discuss the origin of language, you need to know its leading hypotheses, which go by the catchy names ding-dong, bow-wow, pooh-pooh (which I learned as “ouch-ouch”), ta-ta, uh-oh, yo-he-ho, and watch the birdie, so, if you put any credit in the advice of sociologists, learn them. B)