Science Forums

Fragrance and perfume

Michaelangelica

PS

I just found this.

trying to put K9 out of a job?

'Electronic Nose' Created By Inkjet Printing Can Detect Explosives | Scientific Blogging

'Electronic Nose' Created By Inkjet Printing Can Detect Explosives

Submitted by News Account on 9 November 2007 - 7:50pm. Technology

A tiny “electronic nose” that MIT researchers have engineered with a novel inkjet printing method could be used to detect hazards including carbon monoxide, harmful industrial solvents and explosives.

Led by MIT professor Harry Tuller, the researchers have devised a way to print thin sensor films onto a microchip, a process that could eventually allow for mass production of highly sensitive gas detectors.

• 4 weeks later...

Most people who have ever had a cold probably need no confirmation that smell is linked to taste. Why then, are there cases where smell and taste sensations are so discordant?

I recall a special meal where we were served Indian "temple bird" that smelled utterly divine - yet, disapointingly, was more or less tasteless. On the contrary, I can vouch for the fact that the durian fruit is worth seeking out above all others, in spite of its characteristic smell of onions, sweaty feet and the local gasworks. Oddest though, is that few foods smell better to me than a steak and kidney pie - yet the taste makes me feel instantly sick. (I eat almost anything else.)

Most people who have ever had a cold probably need no confirmation that smell is linked to taste. Why then, are there cases where smell and taste sensations are so discordant?

Good point mynah

Have you ever had a Miricle Fruit?

It is a little berry that reverses the tastes of sweet sour.

Lemons, limes, grapefruit, kumquats, taste soo delicious.

I have seen my kids gobble up plates full of sour fruit as if left alone in a lolly shop.!

So how does that work?

Sometimes I think smell can revive memories very powerfully.

I can't abide "pickled herrings in tomato sauce" that my dad ate. i would thow up too at the smell of it.

Perhaps you too have a similar aversion to steak and kidney pie (Which I adore!)

I had 'Skinerian' Aversion Therapy when I was 18 with rum. Showing what a big man I was and becoming sick with it.

I couldn't stand the smell for decades (I finally, bravely, got over it):)

I just came across this recent research

The acute sensitivity of human olfaction tends to be under appreciated. "In general, people tend to be dismissive of human olfaction and discount the role that smell plays in our everyday life," said Gottfried. "Our study offers direct evidence that human social behaviour is under the influence of minuscule amounts of odour, at concentrations too low to be consciously perceived, indicating that the human sense of smell is much keener than commonly thought."

Subliminal Smells Bias Perception About A Person's Likeability

"We evaluate people every day and make judgements about who we like or don't like," said Wen Li, a post-doctoral fellow in the Cognitive Neurology and Alzheimer's Disease Centre at Northwestern's Feinberg School of Medicine and lead author of the study.

Would love to reply more fully some time (miracle fruit, subliminal smells, etc.) but life is rather hectic right now, with serious deadlines...:phones:

About the pies, though, the odd thing about it is the contrast between my perception of the smell (divine) and the taste (awful). I absolutely can't stand kidneys, even though it has nothing to do with squeamishness (I'll eat the sauce they're cooked in, or the pie crust) or smell (often very nice). Oddly, as a small kid I ate kidney but couldn't stand liver. After having neither for several years, I discovered that my preferences had reversed themselves.

• 3 weeks later...
Fighting Malaria By Tricking Mosquito's Sense Of Smell

ScienceDaily (Sep. 5, 2007) — By mapping a specialized sensory organ that the malaria mosquito uses to zero in on its human prey, an international team of researchers has taken an important step toward developing new and improved repellents and attractants that can be used to reduce the threat of malaria, generally considered the most prevalent life-threatening disease in the world.

Fighting Malaria By Tricking Mosquito's Sense Of Smell

• 2 weeks later...
Can A Smell Test Predict Parkinson's Disease?

ScienceDaily (Jan. 9, 2008) — Doctors know an impaired sense of smell is an early indicator of Parkinson’s Disease. Now they want to know if a smell test can help determine if people with no symptoms eventually develop the disease.

Aroma Of Chocolate Chip Cookies Prompts Splurging On Expensive Sweaters

ScienceDaily (Jan. 12, 2008) — Exposure to something that whets the appetite, such as a picture of a mouthwatering dessert, can make a person more impulsive with unrelated purchases,

ScienceDaily (Jan. 12, 2008) — Exposure to something that whets the appetite, such as a picture of a mouthwatering dessert, can make a person more impulsive with unrelated purchases,

I read a paper on a study that showed that people spent more time, and therefore more money, in a restaurant with a lavender scent.

We suggest that the positive effect that the lavender scent had on the length of time spent in the restaurant was caused by its relaxing effect (Diego et al., 1998). Studies found that lavender increased drowsiness (Buchbauer et al., 1993) and induced sleep (Van Toller, 1988). Therefore lavender seemed to relax people which in return led them to stay longer in the area where this smell was diffused. Perhaps, this relaxation effect, in return, had an influence on expenditures; when relaxing, the customers ordered additional items including alcohol and/or coffee and thus increased the amount spent.

http://nicolas.gueguen.free.fr/Articles/IJHM2006.pdf

• 1 month later...

So evolutionarily (sorry) what was is the up-side for lavender plants in producing huge amounts of lavender oil?

Smelly Sounds: One Person Out Of Every 1,000 Has Synesthesia

ScienceDaily (Jan. 2, 2008) — Surprising as it may seem, there are people who can smell sounds, see smells or hear colours. One person out of every thousand has synesthesia, a psychological phenomenon in which an individual can smell a sound or hear a color. Most of these people are not aware they are synesthetes: they think the way they experience the world is normal.

Smelly Sounds: One Person Out Of Every 1,000 Has Synesthesia

Like most plants of the sage family, lavender is aromatic, rather than fragrant; i.e. the plant only smells when it is bruised and the oil is released. I once mistook a bottle of lavender oil for another containing medicine, and can confirm first-hand that lavender's culinary delights do not extend to its taste. Animals that attempt to eat the plant probably associate the unpleasant taste more powerfully with the plant (which is quite distinctive) because it is accompanied by the release of a particular smell, in much the same way that smelling a particular food when you are nauseous could put you off that food for a long time. (Admittedly, this is just my guess.)

• 1 month later...

Lavender Essential Oil isn't that bad . It depends abit on the variety you use.Some are very floral others more 'antisepticy'

In France they use a small angustifoloia variety to make delicious ice cream and ices. (In England this might be called dwarf Hidcote Lavender).

Lavender oil is also intoxicating if drunk

Many herb Essential oils are used to make flavours (Coca Cola a famous one) but the strength of the oils makes them too difficult (usually) to use in home cooking.

I don't think I really "get" what this article is about.

Growth hormone also guides brain wiring

Anyone want to translate it for me?

03.26.2008 - Growth hormone also guides brain wiring

I understood this bit

Compared to the visual system, the brain's odour system is still poorly understood, but it appears to have its own uniquely ordered connections, Ngai said. The nose contains some 5 million nerve cells, each of which carries only one kind of odour receptor out of about 1,000 different odor receptors, each tuned to detect different chemicals or odorants. Nose nerve cells that detect the same odorant send their axons to the same region of the olfactory bulb, and it appears that neurons that detect similar chemicals, such as different alcohols, send their axons to nearby areas of the bulb.

Scientists previously had discovered that each of our two olfactory bulbs is divided down the middle between two mirror-image representations of the nasal odour receptors. Ngai and his colleagues found that IGF is responsible for setting up these mirror images within the bulb.

"IGF signaling is absolutely required for this mirror symmetry," he said. "In the absence of IGF function, you lose information from the sensory axons of the nose to one half of the bulb."

Airborne scent chemicals (inset) stimulate odor receptors in the nasal cavity, which send signals to the brain's olfactory bulb (yellow) located in the frontal lobe of the brain just above the nasal bone.

These connections are set up during early development when sensory nerves in the nose send axons into the brain (blue and gold) that target specific neurons in the bulb to create a map of sensory information that displays a mirror symmetry across the bulb’s midline (dashed line).

When IGF signaling is disrupted (right), the blue axons collapse toward the bulb’s midline, resulting in a distortion of this sensory map, demonstrating the critical role played by IGF in wiring the brain. (John Ngai/UC Berkeley; inset courtesy Nobel prize committee)

03.26.2008 - Growth hormone also guides brain wiring

• 1 month later...
Air pollution hurts a flower's fragrance, bees

Flowers1_2 Air pollution might be part of the reason why wild populations of some pollinators are declining in several areas of the world.

Humans aren't the only ones suffering from air pollution created by power plants and cars. Smog is destroying the aroma of flowers, which, in turn, makes it hard for pollinators to locate the flowering plants, according to a University of Virginia study.

Bees, which need nectar for food, are the principal pollinators for 80 percent of the world’s grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes, including about 90 crops in North America, a value of about $14 billion.

Julie's Health Club - Where alternative and mainstream health meet | Chicago Tribune | Blog | Blogroll

• 2 months later...

Birds Have A Good Sense Of Smell

The sense of smell might indeed be as important to birds as it is to fish or even mammals. This is the main conclusion of a study by Silke Steiger (Max Planck Institute for Ornithology) and her colleagues. The sense of smell in birds was, until quite recently, thought to be poorly developed.

Birds Have A Good Sense Of Smell

• 4 weeks later...

A bit more genetics.

My children (Girls) are horrified that they should prefer a male who smells as bad as me!! :shrug: he he.. (Why is there no icon for "stirring"?). This research seems to indicate the opposite?

PILL MAY PUT WOMEN OFF MR RIGHT'S SCENT

Contraceptive pills may disrupt women's innate ability to sniff out a genetically compatible partner, say UK researchers.

Pill may put women off Mr Right's scent (ABC News in Science)

It could ultimately lead to the breakdown of relationships when women stop using the contraceptive pill, as odour perception plays a significant role in maintaining attraction to partners," says Roberts.

The study also found women in relationships expressed a greater preference for odours of MHC-dissimilar and unfamiliar men, a result consistent with studies in birds.

Oral contraceptives combine two hormones, oestrogen and progestogen, to inhibit normal female fertility.