Science Forums

Need help with TI-86

guys, i need your help to figure out if i can find an answer to question like...

[(S-3)(S-2)(S-3)]/[(S-3)(S+4)(S+5)(S+1-2J)(S+1+2J)]

!. How should i set this eqation, where i would put different values for S and J is a complex number so when i press enter i would get whatever this equals to?

thanks

guys, i need your help to figure out ...put different values for S and J is a complex number ...

Well, for starters, let's clear up an uncertainty here.

You appear to be saying that S and J are complex numbers. Are they? Both of them or just one of them?

Assuming for the moment that S and J are both complex, then you would have two numeric values to enter for each: S = a + bi and J = m + ni

The most obvious way of entering these values is by designating four "registers" of your calculator like this for example:

Reg.3 -- a

Reg.4 -- b

Reg.5 -- m

Reg.6 -- n

You insert the complex number S into registers 3 and 4 -- and the complex number J into registers 5 and 6.

Your equation would calculate the final value from those four registers.

Does this help??

J is the imaginary and S is the value which i want to insert because the question asks that find the value between -2 to 2 so i have to insert -2,-1.5 and so on.

So first of all how would i set up [(S-3)(S-2)(S-3)]/[(S-3)(S+4)(S+5)(S+1-2J)(S+1+2J)]

in TI 86

Then how would i enter different S value to get final answer?

thanks

J is the imaginary and S is the value which i want to insert...So first of all how would i set up [(S-3)(S-2)(S-3)]/[(S-3)(S+4)(S+5)(S+1-2J)(S+1+2J)]

...Then how would i enter different S value to get final answer?

Insufficient information.

Is the "final answer" to be a function of J, or a numeric answer?

If you expect to get a numeric answer, then you must also input a value for J.

Notice that J occurs only in the denominator and only in two terms:

(S+1-2J)(S+1+2J)

This is the same as {(S+1) - 2J} {(S+1) + 2J}

This equals {(S+1)^2 - (2J)^2 }

Now, as you said, J is "imaginary". Not complex (a + bi), but imaginary (bi).

Let's say therefore that J is actuall Ki, where i is the square root of minus one and K is now just a number.

Therefore J^2 = (Ki)^2 = -(K^2)

Therefore, our equation above becomes: {(S+1)^2+4K^2}

Your original equation, [(S-3)(S-2)(S-3)]/[(S-3)(S+4)(S+5)(S+1-2J)(S+1+2J)]

now becomes

[(S-3)^2 *(S-2)]/[(S-3)(S+4)(S+5)((S+1)^2+4K^2)]

Notice there are no more imaginary terms.

Assume you will put S in register 2,

Assume you will put K in register 3,

Now put your equation in in the following manner (I am assuming your TI calculator uses the same keys as the older TI-59

"REC" is the Recall key and is always followed by a register number

"STO" is the Store key and is always followed by a register number

"SQ" is the Square key

( ( REC 2 - 3 ) SQ * ( REC 2 - 2 ) ) = STO 1

( ( REC 2 - 3 ) * ( REC 2 + 4 ) * ( REC 2 + 5 ) *

( ( REC 2 + 1 ) SQ + 4 * REC 3 * REC 3 ) ) = STO 4

REC 1 / REC 4 =

The above should be keyed in in "equation program" mode.

Now, say that J is 7i, or that K is 7.

Enter:

7 STO 3

that puts K in register 3

Enter your first S value:

1.5 STO 2

Now press the calculate key, and the calculated value should appear.

This is not the only way to do your equation. I did the numerator and denominator separately, with numerator in register 1 and denominator in register 4. There are many, many other ways you can key it in.

umm.. when you say register you mean to store? if not, then how to make register key? also, what value should i store for S and K when i put them in register?...

If your calculator doesn't have a Store X key and a Recall X key, then maybe you don't have registers.

In that case, every time I specify "REC 2", just plug in the value of S instead.

Every time I specify "REC 3" plug in K.

What values of S and K? Well, that should be part of the the problem itself! I can't help you there. In your first post you said something about plugging in values of S between 1 and 2 or something like that. Go back and read the original problem to find the PURPOSE of the problem. Just what is it the problem wants you to accomplish.

I am assuming your TI calculator uses the same keys as the older TI-59

Pyro - the TI-86 is a graphing calculator, much more like the TI-83 and TI-82. It is fully programmable in a BASIC type language, it can store variables in letters, has graphing functions and mathematical functions. It also has a mode in which you can work directly with imaginary numbers (it's under the menu, there are a few different modes, one is "a+bi" mode).

Now, I have quite a bit of experiance with the TI-83+, so I'm going to say what I would do on that - it will be a bit different on the 86, but not too much so.

I would put the calculator into a+bi mode, and enter the equation into Y1, using 'X' in place of S (assuming that you have a definite number for J, that is). From here you have two options: You can go to the graph, or you can exit to the main screen.

From the main screen you can go to varibles, find Y1 (it's probably under 'Y-variables', or 'Func', or some combination thereof). Hit enter and "Y1" will be on the screen. In front of it, put the number for S that you want to test in parenthesis ( Example: "Y1(3)" will return the Y value at X = 3 This will tell you what the entire function would equal if S was 3).

On the graph screen, you can either trace (which is difficult unless you adjust your X-Axis on the window screen so that 1 pixel = 1 X-Unit) or you can find the value at a point using the 'Calc' menu (I don't do this as much, so I can't necessarily guarentee this from memory).

If neither of these solutions are what you are looking for, it is always possible to write a program to do what you want - I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, so I didn't try to do that.