Science Forums

Angry!! Why?

hallenrm

Do you get angry often?

or

Has an angry reaction of someone startled you ever?

What is anger? and why does one get angry is a question that has many social ramnifications and a subject that can be analyzed in psychology.

I have recently faced my angry brother:( , and I could see no immediate reason for his reaction. I think many more people often face such situations, and have no option but just to ignore and forget about them.

An understanding of the phenomenon can perhaps help in certain cases:)

Edit: After posting the thread, I searched and found that there has been an earlier thread on this subject, so please go through it (it has only few postings) before posting a reply on this thread:)

So, let us begin with the identification of the emotion anger.

In other words let us analyze the situations in which we say that we are angry, and of course the psychological definition of the concept.

What is Anger?

Anger is an experience of our body as well as our mind. A complex series of physiological (body) events that occurs as we become angry. As one becomes angry the body's muscles tense up. Inside the brain, neurotransmitter chemicals known as catecholamines are released causing one to experience a burst of energy lasting up to several minutes. At the same time the heartbeat rate accelerates, blood pressure rises, and hence the rate of breathing increases. Your face may flush as increased blood flow enters your limbs and extremities in preparation for physical action. Your attention narrows and becomes locked onto the target of anger. Soon nothing else is worth the attention.

Now, what initiates these reactions!

It can be a culmonation of frustrating experiences. For example,

K is a teenager and has been feeling that nothing is worth it anymore. As hard as she tries, she just doesn't seem to fit in. The day before she had tried out for the school play, but when she got on stage, she froze up and just stopped in the middle of her audition. Now, everyone in the school must know about it and K is sure they're laughing at her. She'll never let them know how bad she feels. She knows what they're thinking and they're right -- she isn't good enough and she'll never fit in. K hates them all.

Or this one

A is slightly mentally retarded. He belongs to a family in which all his siblings have been sucessful, but somehow he could fit in any regular job. So, the only option left for him was to stay back at home, and help his aged mother. He cannot participate in the discussions that take place in home between his other family members, because he has no experiences at workplace or about certain kind of people to share. He often feels alienated, almost worthless, because he cannot earn money like his siblings. Sometimes, he really hates them, he shouts!

More in next post! :Guns: