Science Forums

Genetic engineering

somebody

This question is from one of the previous post about mammals not digesting cellulose...

I was learning about cloning vectors and genetic engineering in my genetic class the other day and got me thinking that can't scientist clone gene that codes for the enzyme that breaks down cellulose and insert it in humans or any other mammals that lack the gene?

can't scientist clone gene that codes for the enzyme that breaks down cellulose and insert it in humans or any other mammals that lack the gene?

Digestive enzymes have a very restricted and regulated use, I don't know if just doing gene copy-pasting would be a very good idea, who knows. I think that there's must be a reason behind that apparent drawback, cause there's been plenty of time and ocassion for mammals to produce that mutation.

<crazy-random-paranoid-speculation>

Maybe it would be too expensive to break the cellulose.

Or suppose the process would take too long and the monomeres would be released in too small quantities to be assimilated in time, before the ubiquitous bacteries snatch them and using them for their own dark purpose. Maybe it's best to leave the hard work to them and be content to recieve the spoils, maybe it's a fight that we cannot win so we don't fight it at all. Maybe those little bastards are not helping at all! MAYBE THEY'RE JUST HOLDING US DOWN, DAMN YOU BACTERIES, DAMN YOU AAAALL!!!:confused:

</crazy-random-paranoid-speculation>

:esmoking:

Maybe it would be too expensive to break the cellulose.

Or suppose the process would take too long and the monomeres would be released in too small quantities to be assimilated in time, before the ubiquitous bacteries snatch them and using them for their own dark purpose.

well its not like humans are going to run into problems with spending ATP to power that rxn. ALso all bio chem pathways would take long if it was not for enzymes. So by having enzymes which catalyzes break down of cellulose, it should be a quick process.

any other comments on why we cant insert enzyme that helps breakdown of cellulose in humans?