Science Forums

AMD vs. Intel continued

I dint want to dig down and bring the topic up again(its off my first page so i didnt bother), i'm just going to continue it here...

I was just reading about intel's christmas holiday party. A team of engineers assembled a disco ball with reflectors made out of leftover project television chips, yet another one of announced, but discontinued projects by intel in their hopeless attempt to redominate the market. They are now way behind Advanced Micro Devices, dont know whether or not they'll be able to catch up, soon anyways. AMD has been so successful in stealing the market that there is talk that Kevin Rollins, the president of Dell (one of the biggest Intel consumers) was considering adding computers with AMD chips to its product line... lol

I wouldnt call AMD cheaper of the two, infact, AMD systems are more expendive than Intels, the processor itself might not be, butif you buy the whole system, especially a server, you would have to pay a bit more for AMD (and it is better). To compare, a brand new dual Xeon box will set you back approximately 2,700 dollars, a brand new dual opteron osa242 will set you back about $3,400 (I was looking around 2.8Ghz 4 160 gig hds, dual power supplies, 6psi slot boards, dual gigabit lans, dvd rom, 2Gb RAM, simple tower case, nothing too fancy, Xeon procs had 800 FSB). And i did try to come up with an estimate on an Itanium server, but they are a bit older and slower, 400FSB, 16Gig scusi Hds, but I'd imagine approx $2,500...