Science Forums

Why more electrpositive ions....?

chandubaba

for every positive created a negative should also be created, charge must be conserved. This is because a positive is created when an electron leaves the atom, that electron has to go somewhere and the atom it ends up at will be negative (or in the case of an electro-chemical cell) a current flows, but an atom somewhere will take up that negative charge.

• 3 months later...

This is a topic which I have difficulty getting my head around (I'm about 3 years away from covering it in school), but it is my understanding that bonds between atoms with a large electronegativity difference (greater than or equal to 1.7) are usually considered to be ionic, while values between 1.7 and 0.4 are considered polar covalent. Therefore, a higher negativity means that the atom is more likely to ionize.....I think...:)

What I can tell you though is that the number of electrons on the outermost shell affects ionization energy/discharge potential...If with 1,500 kJ/mol you removed one electron and required 6,000 kJ/mol to remove another electron and then 5,000 kJ/mol, etc, the element would have had one electron in its outermost shell. (Must be a metal) then...

Look at this link:

Ionization potential - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia