Science Forums

Establishing an online presence

like i said, godaddy has many offers on domain names ;)

www.sliqua.com has some amazing servers if you want (http://stats.ptptech.com on an insane backbone (28gb/s) (2 networks, with 3 and 4 separate providers each network can handle the load of both, so its 100% redundant), not using over 50% of server resources capacity, Cent/custom grsecurity kernel (from people that host grsecurity servers), SSL, ftp, ssh, Apache PHP MySQL, working on Ruby and Rails, and 5 dns servers that when incredibly swamped still have 4ms response times (that is personal experience).

• 1 month later...

Mood: :unsure: :shrug: :) :banghead: :edizzy: :xx: :headache: :computerkick: :confused: :confused: :hyper: :huh: :blink: :thanks:

I must confess confusion. I do not understand what the differences are for the associated web hosting services. I am not familar with the territory.

If I want to start up a small network of associated pages. A Forum, a Wiki, and a web page. What would I be looking for in my target services? Obviously PHP, CSS, and HTML support.

What else though? Would I be looking for a shared hosting (what is that anyway?) service? If so, why?

I really honestly know very little, nor do I understand much about how the web works. I mean I can discuss low level theory, but not implementation or practice. Computers and networks, admittedly, are one of the few things that confound me.

All the abriviations don't help. Like PHP, HTML, CSS, and SLL. Don't know what even 3/4s of it all is. Need to start from the beginning, and treat me like I don't know anything on the subject. That is treat me like I was a non-sophist in the realm of technology.

I want those three things (Forum, Wiki, Web Page), what do I need to learn and do to get them?

What are some resources for learning more about these kinds of things? What do I need to know about like protocols and stuff like that?

I could ask questions, but likely I know more or less the answers to my questions. My issue then is in finding new questions to ask, which I must differ to someone who has greater knowledge than myself to bring my attention to imprecepted questions, fundamentals if you will.

What are some resources for learning more about these kinds of things? What do I need to know about like protocols and stuff like that?

This is where I learned HTML and stuff a few years ago--not that I stay current or anything. =) Here's my last creation for a work buddy, over a year old now.

HTML Goodies <<~~~ Extremely beginner friendly and comprehensive

Position Is Everything -- Modern browser bugs explained in detail!

A List Apart

QuirksMode - for all your browser quirks << ~~~ Slightly dated

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

EDIT: Choosing the host is everything. CGI and other things require directory access and such. BTW startlogic.com is on my **** list.