Science Forums

A new image reveals magnetic fields around our galaxy’s central black hole

Most Black Holes I believe are of the Kerr type. Other types are the Schwarzchild metric, that is one with no spin (probably unrealistic and simply used by cosmologists as a simplification, since black holes would gain angular momentum  from their initial collapse) A black hole spinning and with a magnetic field/charge, is called a Kerr-Newman Black Hole. I'm going from memory here, but that also would see any magnetic field and/or charge negated by matter of the opposite charge being attracted to the black hole. Perhaps the magnetic field/charge is coming from the accretion disk, rather then the black hole itself. Good question and I would like to see other answers and thoughts on what I remembered.

14 hours ago, Vmedvil said:

It seems a new image of Sag A reveals magnetic fields around our galaxy's central black hole, read more at A new image reveals magnetic fields around our galaxy’s central black hole (sciencenews.org)

Do you think this means that all black holes have magnetic fields around them?

It seems contradictory, to me anyway, that a black hole can emanate a magnetic field when nothing can escape a black hole. Why doesn't this apply to a magnetic field's photons that form the magnetic field?  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Moontanman said:

It seems contradictory, to me anyway, that a black hole can emanate a magnetic field when nothing can escape a black hole. Why doesn't this apply to a magnetic field's photons that form the magnetic field?  

I am uncertain but it seems there are magnetic fields around black holes from observational evidence of two Super Massive Black Holes being M87 and Sag A.

Edited by Vmedvil

43 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Agreed. That is why I mentioned the accretion disk and infalling matter, before it crosses the EV.

47 minutes ago, oldpaddoboy said:

Agreed. That is why I mentioned the accretion disk and infalling matter, before it crosses the EV.

That infalling disc is the source of a mag field? That would make sense.