Science Forums

Sleep Paralysis

Edella

A few weeks ago I experienced Sleep paralysis for the first time.For about a full minute I was fully awake and unable to move a muscle.My dog had hopped up on the bed and startled me awake.My mind was racing,trying to figure out what the hell was going on...truly scary!

After regaining muscle control,I immediately ran to the computer to see what I could find.

Sleep paralysis:An abnormal episode of sleep in which the patient cannot move for a few minutes, usually occurring while falling asleep or waking up. Sleep paralysis is often found in patients with narcolepsy.

After reading more about it I think there's not much to worry about( in my case).Nonetheless ,it was terrifying and I hope I never experience it again,even though I now know what it is.

Some who study sleep paralysis think it might be a particularly likely source of beliefs concerning not only alien abductions, but all manner of beliefs in alternative realities and otherworldly creatures.Very interesting!

Has anyone here ever experienced sleep paralysis?I whimpered like a three year old!

P.S. Were you then abducted?:shrug:

A few weeks ago I experienced Sleep paralysis for the first time.

Has anyone here ever experienced sleep paralysis?I whimpered like a three year old!

P.S. Were you then abducted?:hihi:

Was it hypnogogic (falling into sleep) or hypnopompic (waking from sleep)? I have often experienced hypnopompic paralysis, although usually in the sensation of moving slowly and with difficulty and in relation to chasing someone or running from someone in a dream. I sometimes come fully concious with a loud outcry.

It occurs often enough that the whimpering has ceased, but I do immediately rise to move about and shake my head and go turn on a light. I have never experienced extra-bodily 'otherness' (Baba Yaga the Old Hag. aliens etc..) .....Or have I!?:shrug: :eek: :shrug:

Might be a good idea to get your blood pressure/shugar levels checked :shrug:
I haven't yet read anything that suggested blood pressure or sugar levels are related to sleep paralysis;can you tell me what you think the correlation might be?
Was it hypnogogic (falling into sleep) or hypnopompic (waking from sleep)?I have often experienced hypnopompic paralysis, although usually in the sensation of moving slowly and with difficulty and in relation to chasing someone or running from someone in a dream. I sometimes come fully concious with a loud outcry.
Hypnopompic.But,unlike your episodes,there was no dream prior to the paralysis that I am aware of,and I couldn't move a muscle or open my eyes,only make baby-like sounds.It makes me wonder what a quadriplegic must go through.Now that I know what it is I probably won't be so scared if it happens again,but damn,it's one of the strangest sensations I've ever experienced.

Your description just reminded me of diabetic shock. Some people have diabeties and do not know it thus the shugar level check.

Low blood pressure/bad circulation may have caused your muscles seize, so that's something else to check on.

Your description [of sleep paralysis] just reminded me of diabetic shock. Some people have diabeties and do not know it thus the shugar level check.
It’s always good advice to check your blood sugar for signs of diabetes, and very easy these days to do – nearly any health care pro can do it, as can almost any diabetic you know, thanks to low-cost testing gadgets

Low blood sugar is usually associated with a feeling of being “fuzzy and out of it”, which doesn’t sound much to me like the “fully awake” that Edella describes, but it never hurts to gain as much diagnostic information about yourself as you can.

• 3 months later...

No, sleep paralysis happens all the time, its not diabetes. I wrote this in a new thread but here will do: -

When I first heard about sleep paralysis on tv, and understood that I had experienced it, I made and effort to understand it in myself. I discovered a strange feeling that accompanies the sleep paralysis event (I call it the Fear Fall Feeling - F.F.F). As you drift into sleep your body shuts down and its natural movement inhibiters are applied, you remain semi-conscious. The Fear factor of sleep paralysis brings on the F.F.F effect and you tense up, this is when you notice you cant move. If you focus on that feeling, anyway, you notice that its sort of like a muscle inside of you. Whenever you fall or are shocked in a certain situation you feel this sensation. I have become aware that I can control the sensation though only by causing it to work, and can change the intensity. However I cannot avoid the feeling in its naturally ocurring circumstances. I find it strange and have never heard of anyone else who can so this, though Im sure there are those who can. I have an idea that perhaps the feeling can be used to harness the fight or flight reflex, or perhaps to control telekinesis or something weird like that. The feeling itself is really unusual. You must try it.