Science Forums

Need help with Bio Project

Diver09

hi i'm new here, and i have a biology project for school i have to do thats due in a few weeks called Cell Theme Park Model. Basically i have to model a theme park but each part of the park needs to resemble a part of a cell. For example, the information kiosk can be the nucleus. I need to know what i should do with all of these though:

Nucleus = (Information Kiosk?) any other sugestions?

Nucleolus = ?

chromatin = ?

cytoplasm (cytosol) = (the land the theme park is on?)

endoplasmic reticulum = ?

ribsome = ?

lysosome = ?

golgi body or apparatus = ?

microfilaments, microtubles (cytoskeleton) = ?

centrioles = ?

mitochndria = ?

chloroplast = ?

vacuole = ?

cell membrane = (Fence around park?)

hi i'm new here, and i have a biology project for school i have to do thats due in a few weeks called Cell Theme Park Model. Basically i have to model a theme park but each part of the park needs to resemble a part of a cell.

Well, there are ride operators, ticket takers, security guards, mechanics, snack vendors, golf-cart vehicles, sidewalks, undergreound/behind-the-scenes maintenance passageways, constantly changing number and type of guests, employee and guest entrance/exit gates, fire escape routes, rides both simple & challenging, height/age requirements, PA system....you get the idea. Visualize as many of the more familiar features of the theme park first, then from that list make pairings to the less familiar cell structures. :lol:

Springboard. I do 1 meter and 3 meter springboard. and i do 3, 5, 7, and 10 meter platform. I used to be a gymnast which helped me alot in diving.

[OFFTOPIC]Sweet! Me too, except I have acrophobia and only competed on 1 meter springboards. I went on to teach and coach diving, but never mustered the courage to even jump from a 10m platform. :) :lol: [/OFFTOPIC]

On to the cellular theme park! :doh:

yea but what part of the cell will those things relate to?

That part is up to you to decide. As I earlier suggested, starting with the list of theme park items begin matching them to 'best-fit' in your judgement organelles in accord with what your class is teaching you about how each organelle functions in the cell. This is the fun part of a project where you get to exercise your creativity. Or you could call a friend & see what they got. :shrug:

thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm still having a hard time figuring out how some of those theme park things relate to the cell partsand the functions. can someone give me a good link to where i can fully understand the functions of the cell parts i listed earlier? i already googled it and still can't really find good info. Or can someone tell me the functions of the cell parts i listed? thanks guys again...

here is some idea...

microfilaments make them monorail.

ER could be one of those puzzle thing where you have to find your way out (dont know if it's part of theme park).

golgi can be a ride.

mitochondrian can be the power house which supplies the power to the whole theme park!

Lysosome can be restroom since they break/hydrolyze materials :ebomb:

dude.. type in "structures of cell" in google and then come back and tell me you dont find stuff. But here is free give away:)

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/cells/animalcell.html

well i finally found all my answers. I did alot of research today and here is my updated list now:

Nucleus=information kiosk (since the nucleus is like the brain of the cell

Nucleolus=ticket givers (since it's the beginning of ribosome assembly)

Chromatin=waiting line for tickets(inbetween nucleolus and nuclear envelope)

Cytoplasm=the theme park ground ( since it's everyting else in the cell)

Endoplasmic reticulum=ride operators ( since it assembles proteins)

Ribosome= People ( since ribosomes are scattered throughout the cell)

Lysosomes= restrooms ( since it has to do with digestion )

Golgi Apparatus= A ride/rollercoaster (since it modify's and sends things out)

Cytoskeleton=fenceposts(since it's anchered to the ground, supports rest of fence)

Centrioles= Engineer ( since it organizes cell division and the engineer can reconstrust the park if needed)

Mitochondria= Generator ( powerhouse/supply)

Chloroplast= windmill ( gets energy from wind and transfers it to electrical enery the park can use)

Vacuole= Bank/money stash/supply (since it stores the good stuff the cell needs)

Cell membrane=Fence with entrance and exists ( regulates what enters and leaves)

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.