Science Forums

Electrically Powered Prosthetics

Hello everyone! I am a Senior High School student in France doing a research project on the latest innovations in prosthetics, especially electrically powered prosthetics. 

For my project, I would like to have a primary human source. I am looking for testimony of someone who misses or has lost a limb (regardless of the cause) and who benefited from electrically powered prosthetics. I would like to know how the electrically powered prosthetic improved and eased their life (or not, if it's the case), and what was the difference between their quality of life before this type of prosthetic or with another one (like a custom silicone one for example). 

The primary human source should be linked in some way to the US, so I would need the testimony of a US citizen, or of someone who has benefited from a prosthetic of a US brand (I am open to other types of connection to the US, but it should be justifiable).

I am also open to complementary information on the subject to deepen my understanding of it if you have. 

Thank you so much in advance for your answers, it would genuinely help me complete my research project on this really interesting topic (and by the way get a good grade for my High School diploma 😁). 

Clothilde, Terminales student. 

11 hours ago, ClothildeTstudent said:

Hello everyone! I am a Senior High School student in France doing a research project on the latest innovations in prosthetics, especially electrically powered prosthetics. 

For my project, I would like to have a primary human source. I am looking for testimony of someone who misses or has lost a limb (regardless of the cause) and who benefited from electrically powered prosthetics. I would like to know how the electrically powered prosthetic improved and eased their life (or not, if it's the case), and what was the difference between their quality of life before this type of prosthetic or with another one (like a custom silicone one for example). 

The primary human source should be linked in some way to the US, so I would need the testimony of a US citizen, or of someone who has benefited from a prosthetic of a US brand (I am open to other types of connection to the US, but it should be justifiable).

I am also open to complementary information on the subject to deepen my understanding of it if you have. 

Thank you so much in advance for your answers, it would genuinely help me complete my research project on this really interesting topic (and by the way get a good grade for my High School diploma 😁). 

Clothilde, Terminales student. 

My friend Daniel lost his leg due to an antibiotic resistant bacterial infection and has a prosthetic leg however it is not an electrically powered one. I don't know if that helps or not.  If you would like I can ask him to tell you some details about it.

5 hours ago, Vmedvil said:

My friend Daniel lost his leg due to an antibiotic resistant bacterial infection and has a prosthetic leg however it is not an electrically powered one. I don't know if that helps or not.  If you would like I can ask him to tell you some details about it.

I went ahead and called him, and Daniel my friend said this, "Basically, you don't understand how much your toes keep your balance and with prosthetic legs it become a completely different ballgame then it did before to keep balance with the prosthetic leg because of how much your toes keep your balance". He also said, "When he bends down to get something that is an entirely different ballgame too unless you are holding on to something which is obviously much more difficult than before with your natural leg". He also said too, that "His quality of life is better with the prosthetic leg and that without it he couldn't walk and would have to be in a wheelchair to get around." and that pretty much all he said about it.

Edited by Vmedvil