Science Forums

Premonitions of doom?

paigetheoracle

Having had a migraine attack recently, I got an idea about how it related to something that also happens in sneezing (Aura or eye of the storm stage).

What I noticed is that as an attack or sneeze approaches, you suddenly stop whatever you're doing as though preparing for the onslaught to come (Does this happen with epilepsy too I wonder? And maybe it has somethig to do with sudden 'dizzy' spells too?). I've also noticed animals suddenly stop just before some disaster strikes and it's also a scouting reaction in humans and animals too.

What I noticed is that it is a preparatory stage for whatever is to come, like bracing yourself for an explosion and it made me wonder if psychic prediction followed the same process, requiring stillness and quiet to pick up what may be too subtle to notice, if you're lost in motion? Could this be the basis of meditation and could it further explain the need for quiet while studying and writing?

Furthermore is this why discovery is described as that Eureka moment, when everything falls into place and the answer comes to a question, leading to an explosion of creativity (activity) afterwards?

Perhaps these two opposite states cannot exist in the individual at the same time but maybe they cannot help but occur as consecutive events or thought/feeding preceding action?

Maybe religious or psychic inspiration is therefore no different in process to artistic or inventive creation and only versions of the same thing. Further illness could weave into this strand of processes and explain the fevered brow of the creative - the consumptive poets, the insane artist? (Okay, Van Gogh). Could this be the fertile ground of the imaginative writer - sometimes prompted by nightmares and other times by drugs/delirium tremens? (What about inventors and theorists too? What dreams may come from the sedate or immobilised body (reciever to the days conscious transmitter or actualiser/realiser of the mental/spiritual realm [same thing maybe?]).

This stream of consciousness may seem strange in a science forum but I thought as it had some interesting insights on the human condition and might spark off ideas in other people, I thought I'd plonk it here anyway - under the aegis of the humanities (where else for strange claims of an artistic/arty nature?).

Enjoy! (New novel next week):shrug: