Science Forums

Do the carbon dioxid from volcanos derive from sedimentary rocks?

TheNaturalStep

We have many carbon stocks on earth, in sedimentary rocks we have 1,000,000 GtC, to describe a flow i have to know the origin and the end station which in this case is the atmosphere.

I want to describe this process….. Carbon is transferred from ??? to the atmosphere through the process of volcanic emission.

you can't say lava because that is not a carbon stock ...

carbon stocks can be soil, land biota, warm/cold surface water, deep surface water, fossil fuel, sedimentary rocks and the atmosphere ...

We have many carbon stocks on earth, in sedimentary rocks we have 1,000,000 GtC, to describe a flow i have to know the origin and the end station which in this case is the atmosphere.

I want to describe this process….. Carbon is transferred from ??? to the atmosphere through the process of volcanic emission.

you can't say lava because that is not a carbon stock ...

carbon stocks can be soil, land biota, warm/cold surface water, deep surface water, fossil fuel, sedimentary rocks and the atmosphere ...

The CO2 released from volcanos was disolved in the magma. As it rises to the surface, the pressure drops and the CO2 bubbles out (much like the way a warm soda fizzes when you open it. )

Where did the CO2 come from in the first place? To answer that, you have to consider the source of the magma. The obvious candidate is the rock cycle.

Carbon rich organic material forms sediment.

This sediment is buried and compressed until it forms sedimentary rock.

The sedimentary rock is further buried and compressed until it forms metamorphic rock.

The metamorphic rock is further buried until it reachs the mantle, melts and forms magma.

The carbon from the organic material has combined with oxygen to form CO2 and CO which is disolved in the magma.

The magma rises to the surface in a volcano and releases its disolved gasses to the atmosphere.