Science Forums

Question about flows in the carbon cycle!

TheNaturalStep

Hi i badly need some help to interpreted this picture of the carbon cycles and the flows related,

Scroll down….

http://www.carleton.edu/departments/geol/DaveSTELLA/Carbon/carbon_intro.htm

My question are

1. why are the arrows diagonal for flow 4 5 11 and 12 does it mean that the carbon are moving in two direction like both to surface water and the atmosphere?

2 just if anyone happens to know how many gtc/year that are exceeding the natural flow

3. do anyone got an interesting link about the carbon flow?

Hi i badly need some help to interpreted this picture of the carbon cycles and the flows related,

Scroll down….

http://www.carleton.edu/departments/geol/DaveSTELLA/Carbon/carbon_intro.htm

My question are

1. why are the arrows diagonal for flow 4 5 11 and 12 does it mean that the carbon are moving in two direction like both to surface water and the atmosphere?

Since nothing in the text references the angle of the arrows, I suspect its just a convenience to fit more arrows in a smaller space.

If you search this site for "carbon cycle" you may find some discussions that have info you need.:evil:

interesting, i have searched google and everywhere and this was the best i could find i must have GtC connected, what i am about to do is to describe the flows ..

1 Carbon is transferred from fossil fuel to the atmosphere through the process of burning fossil fuel.

2 Carbon is transferred from earths crust to the atmosphere through the process of volcanic eruption

3 Carbon is transferred from atmosphere to cold surface water through the process of diffusion (cold water can aborb more then warm water)

5 Carbon is transferred from cold surface water to living marine biota through the process of respiration

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is GtC?

Again, if you search this site (Search button on menu bar) for "carbon cycle" you will find a lot of links within the threads. I found this one for example:

http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/temp_vs_CO2.html

GtC is Gigaton of Carbon, and yes there are many intresting links here but i am just intrested in the flows of carbon between the biosphere, geosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere and i want them in GtC.

It isn't easy to find that information layed out in a good way ...

Thx for trying to help :evil:

My question are ...

2 just if anyone happens to know how many gtc/year that are exceeding the natural flow

3. do anyone got an interesting link about the carbon flow?

I searched the threads a bit & found this:

November 28, 2005 Researchers have recovered a nearly two-mile-long cylinder of ice from eastern Antarctica that contains a record of atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide (CO2) and methane--two potent and ubiquitous greenhouse gases--spanning the last two glacial periods. Analysis of this core shows that current atmospheric concentrations of CO2--380 parts per million (ppm)--are 27 percent higher than the highest levels found in the last 650,000 years.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=00020983-B238-1384-B23883414B7F0000

from this thread:

http://hypography.com/forums/earth-science/7463-global-warming-fake-3.html?highlight=greenhouse+gasses

The definition of 'natural flow' is still under wide debate; hope this helps.:lol:

One thing that was not mentioned was CO2 scrubbing by weather and rain. This should be the primary method of removing CO2 from the atmosphere. The reason I say this, this technique is what is used to scrub CO2 from smoke stacks. Water trickles down an extraction tower with the smoke going upwards. The CO2 is absorbed by the water. If one employed a pool of water at the botom of the stack (simulate the ocean) the process would work like crap.

Methane is a natural result of biological decay. Swamps of show increased levels of methane. Another more human source of methane that is not stressed are sanitary dumps, i.e, landfills. When these are capped, they often need to build wells to release the methane gas pressure that can form underground. Often the wells burn the methane to make CO2, allowing the landfill to better meets the VOC (volatile organic carbon) requirements. CO2 is volatile but is not organic carbon, i.e, inorganic carbon.

Turtle, that is interesting but i am looking in the modern flows of the carbon cycle, which is not as the carbon cycle back then because we have emitted so much carbon dioxide ...

My problem is this ….. Do this correspond to 4?

Carbon is transferred from cold water to cold water through the process of photosynthesis

Wait my idiot it must be like this ...

Carbon is transferred from cold water to marine biota through the process of photosynthesis