Science Forums

Culture, Humans Departure From Chimp/Bonobo

Dov Henis

OT aside: What kind of fruit do you raise Dov?

Your mouth will water...

10 citrus varieties (clementines to pommelo), guava, persimmons, feijoa, pitango, sapodilla, sapote, passiflora, loquats, olive, macademia nuts, litchi, pomegrant (white sweet), figs, mango, annona, plum, maybe I forgot one or few...

BTW, your "Don't Tread On Me" reminds me of the sign on the well-kept lawn:

Your Feet Are Killing Me!

Dov

It strikes me that 'capabilities' and 'functions' as you use them ought to have the preface 'initial'. I understand that a lot of what goes on during gestation has a tremendous impact on the fetus; for example drinking or smoking or exposure to lead, etc..

Yes, of course.

But why 'tremendous'? . If we try to be precise re one thing let's keep it re others, I think.

Reminds me of the old Jewish story about the three mothers discussing effects of pre-birth experience on the character of their now grown children.

1st mother:" I remember we went to a piano concert just before being rushed to the hospital, and my daughter indeed grew up to be a gifted musician..."

2nd: "I remember we went to see this play just before, and my son indeed grew up to be a good actor..."

The 3rd mother is silent, in deep painful reflection, and as her two friends

prod her she wakes and sighs: "yes, I remember I had diarrhea just before, and did my son grow up to be such a shtick dreck (a blob of ****)...!

Dov

Yes, of course.

But why 'tremendous'? . If we try to be precise re one thing let's keep it re others, I think.

Reminds me of the old Jewish story about the three mothers discussing effects of pre-birth experience on the character of their now grown children.

Dov

:shrug: :) :confused: RFLMAO I can be such a schlemiel sometimes. Thanks for your disarming humor.

Better to say that new discoveries have revealed previously unknown roles played by chemicals during gestation.

Rather than comment further, I'm going to go and find some windex to clean the coffee I just spewed on the monitor while laughing. :confused:

... what goes on during gestation has an impact

Of course, not only during gestation and not only on fetus and not only on humans... on all organisms and at all time...an organism is continuously effected by his surroundings, senses and responds by various feedbacks.

And especially humans, grownups (put your cup-o-coffee down!):

Wife to husband "you now", she says "when I married you you looked like a young Greek God" says she "now look at you" she says "you look like a Goddamn Greek"!

Dov

Or, since there's no fossil evidence to prove evolution from primates, then that would give those of us who need actual evidence the impression that evolution never happened. S

You are kidding arn't you?

Dov,

I am not sure I understand the gist of your argument.

Is it that culture is as important as genes or that it is inherited or ?

[quote by Michaelangelica

Dov,

I am not sure I understand the gist of your argument.

Is it that culture is as important as genes or that it is inherited or ?

- Culture, in all its totality, is for humans inherently an extended biological matter functioning like other biological factors and serving for the survival of the organism just like other biological factors.

- Cultural feed-backs definitely have demonstrated effects on our genetics. The simplest and most obvious demonstration is the case of human vs chimp major genetic changes since their split six million years ago, which consisted of human starting to control its circumstances - i.e. culture - instead of continuing to physiologically adapt to ambient changes.

Since the split until today the human's Y chromosome retained all the original 16 functional genes whereas the chimps had lost the function of five due to mutations. I.e. Major human genetics pre-culture factors ceased or greatly slowed changing.

On the other hand: "An analysis of the evolution of both gene sequences and expression patterns in humans and chimpanzees...shows that genes expressed in the brain have changed more on the human lineage than on the chimpanzee lineage, not only in terms of gene expression but also in terms of amino acid sequences". I.e. culture-involved genetic factors evolve at an obviously increasing rate.

Dov

" six million years ago, " ? seems a long time

If this number seems BIG to you, how would the following impress you ?:

Ponder what you are and where you are:

Out of the billions of galaxies in the cosmos consider just one, our own galaxy the Milky Way. It, OUR galaxy, just one example out of many many billions, comprises circa 300 billion (10^9) M stars (smaller size than our sun) and 30 billion (10^9) G (our sun-size) stars, with planets and with other dust particles smaller or bigger than the tiny dust particle we call Earth...

Wishing you profound wondering

Dov