Science Forums

Factor that affect the boiling point!!!!

quatumrulesoverall

p-dihydroxybenzene>m-dihydroxybenzene>o-dihydroxybenzene; My reason for that conjecture is because there is maximum possibility of intramolecular hydrogen bonding in the ortho isomer and the least in paraisomer. More inter-molecular hydrogen bonding implies higher B.P. :D

maximum possiblity of intramolecular force, am not clear about that, do you mean that the intramolecular force would interfere the intermolecular force, if so, to what extent ? and why such thing happens ? ( is there anything related to the lone pair electron and repulsion of O atoms.)

Well two hydroxy groups on the same molecule means that the hydrogen atom of one of them can be hydrogen bonded to the oxygen atom of the other group, that is what is meant by hydrogen bond in the ortho isomer the hydrogen atom of one group is fairly close to the oxygen atom of the other group on the same molecule, hence an enhanced probability of intramolecular H- bonding. However in the other isomers Hydrogen bonding would be possible between the hydroxyl groups on different molecules, this would increase the effective molecular weight, hence a higher B.P.

By the way, you are at what level of your chemical education?

so what u meant is that the 2 group of hydroxyl would bind each other ???

So you really do not know much about Hydrogen bonding, Why not follow the link that I have provided, it takes you to an article in wikipedia on Hydrogen bonding.

but is it the most important reason ???

Yes, in this case atleast, when the molecules you are comparing have the same molecular weight.

By the way I small advise if you would accept it! You are obviously connected to the Internet, why not search it through a search engine, say google, to find out more about the words that you do not understand! :confused:

yah, I may have know a bit about that but you know, as long as I understand your reason, I would interprete it that way. Uh, hydrogen bonding would be something quite obvious for me, .... My question is: " The two hydroxyl group in 1 structure would bind together ???? instead of binding another structure as hydrogrn bonding always( not really) be... Read the question carefully, hehhehe :hihi: :) :hihi: