Science Forums

Symbiosis, parasitism and something about ecology

lazo.alex

Hello everyone, i do not post much in hypography forums but i read a lot of news and stuff, but thats not the point, just saying hi, here goes my thread.

Last time i was reading something about symbiosis(in english) and then i read something about simbiosis(in spanish). And there seems to be a small difference.

I need you guys to define the anglosaxon word of symbiosis for me. What i have understood is that symbiosis means any interaction between 2 species, doesnt matter if its beneficial for both or not.

But in simbiosis(spanish word) it means a beneficial interaction between 2 species with physical interaction. Can you guys help me out with that please?

Im from Peru, our main language is spanish so i have to use the simbiosis defenition but i talk english a lot so i need to have clear the symbiosis definition too.

And the other thing is, are parasites biological regulators? do they help with the cycle of life? do they have a role in energy flow of the ecological systems? do they have a role in the food chain? or are they just there to take advantage of a host and produce pathologies.

Wow. I don't usually hear the word "anglosaxon":lol:
You need to invade the east coast of England in long boats more often then.

Anyway, symbiosis is simply a physical interaction between organisms. These interactions can be beneficial to both, one, or none of the organisms involved.

This surprised me. I am multi-lingual. It's just that my first, second, third and fourth languages are all English. I had the same definition of symbiosis in mind that lazo.alex has from Spanish.

While recognising the limitations of Wikipedia the following short extract confirms your position, but notes that the alternative is also a viable one.

In some cases, the term symbiosis is used only if the association is obligatory and benefits both organisms.

The article also provides an interesting list of variants:

Parasitism, in which the association is disadvantageous or destructive to one of the organisms and beneficial to the other (+ −)

Mutualism, in which the association is advantageous to both (+ +)

Commensalism, in which one member of the association benefits while the other is not affected (+ 0)

Amensalism, in which the association is disadvantageous to one member while the other is not affected (− 0)

Neutralism, in which both organisms are unaffected (0 0)

Competition, in which both organisms are harmed (- -)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiosis

Hello everyone, i do not post much in hypography forums but i read a lot of news and stuff, but thats not the point, just saying hi, here goes my thread....

And the other thing is, are parasites biological regulators? do they help with the cycle of life? do they have a role in energy flow of the ecological systems? do they have a role in the food chain? or are they just there to take advantage of a host and produce pathologies.

At the risk of double posting, I found this interesting parasitic symbiotic relationship today:

Here's some new cat news that makes a scary tale.

Originally Posted by livescience

A parasitic microbe commonly found in cats might have helped shape entire human cultures by manipulating the personalities of infected individuals, according to a new study. ...

http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/060210_technovelgy.html