Science Forums

Phosphoric Acid

kyle32123

I recently bought a bottle of rust remover/cleaner.. Its called Phosphoric Prep & Etch.. The only thing under contents says it contains phosphoric acid. It is a dark green liquid, a little oilly.

Any ideas on how to get the phosphoric acid out of this? Ive heard of green phophoric before but i have never seen it. I could boil it to get the water out, but phosphoric acid has a low boiling point doesnt it? Any ideas would really help thanks.

Any ideas on how to get the phosphoric acid out of this? Ive heard of green phophoric before but i have never seen it. I could boil it to get the water out, but phosphoric acid has a low boiling point doesnt it? Any ideas would really help thanks.

Well I doubt that the only ingredient in it is phosphoric acid. That is probably the only ACTIVE ingredient, but I would be willing to bet there are others.

There's really no easy way to remove the phosphoric acid. My suggestion: just go buy some from a science store. Don't bother trying to seperate it from a solution.

I'll try to do some more reasearch though.