Science Forums

Metricise...

Boerseun

For similar reasons, I believe, the US also lacks an official language – one can legally introduce a bill in Congress or argue a case before a US court in any language one likes...

Way off topic, but this changed in February of this year, actually, where English was elected (for the first time officially) as the Official Language of the United States. I'm not too sure if it's only for the Federal Government or if the FedGov actually has the power to impose this decision on the individual states. To the best of my knowledge this was done to enforce specific criteria in immigration requirements.

"A different system for scientific use, and let the common folk and commercial people use their archaic but familiar system", this proposal would appear to further mystify various branches of knowledge, this trend is divisive, exclusivist and elitist, it in no way helps the propagation and promotion of logical solutions to problems posed by reality.

Astronomers, chemists, nuclear physicists, physicians and others already have defined terms and units of measure that are not relevant to common use and I don't think one can say they did this to elitists. The terms were defined to fit the reality of the area of study they best fit, and enables those in these professions to communicate easier.

Euclidean natural units have a better fit to the physical sciences, as they are defined using mathematical and physical science constants.

Way off topic, but this changed in February of this year, actually, where English was elected (for the first time officially) as the Official Language of the United States.
Can you elaborate, or provide a citation.

Your claim contradicts such references as the wikipedia article “English-only movement”. I suspect you’re thinking of the ”English Language Unity Act of 2005” (H.R. 997), which appears to still be before the House Subcommittee on the Constitution.

This isn’t the first bill intended to declare English the “official US language.” Although I’m sympathetic to its intended goals – improving US society – I’m doubtful of its Constitutionality, and curious to see its eventual disposition.