Science Forums

Tell me one beneficial mutation example - if there is

jasonparker

In an effort to keep this on topic, here's an informative article that helps to explain why we don't see so many six armed monsters.

"Early guesses about the nature of the [genetic] code often started from an assumption that it would maximize information density...The concern with efficiency turned out to be misplaced...The concept that has replaced efficiency...is error-­tolerance..."

- http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/37228

I'm still mulling over the specifics, but it holds true to some ideas I'd been kicking around. I particularly like the qwerty refrance.

Enjoy,

-Aaron

• 2 weeks later...
Tell ya what. Take your favorite monitor. Hold it over the edge on the top of a ten story building and let go of it.

Then ask about the random, unstructured, no designer, no creator, no intellegence effect GRAVITY had on it.

Did it do what I would predict it to do regardless of the random, unstructured, no designer, no creator, no intellegence effect of GRAVITY?

Both Gravity and Evolution have the same set of physical laws to operate in. There is NOTHING random or unstructured about it. Niether needs a designer, creator nor intellegence.

There is a difference. Evolution is a process of increasing complex organizations. If there's entropy, everything would drift towards chaos. There's got to be something that continuously puts energy into the system to direct it or keep getting complex.

Sorry if this is naive and out of context. Read my signature. :wink:

Did you ever read about "junk dna"? There's the chaos in evolution for you. Without chaos and random happenings, there would not be evolution. It is not an orderly process.

There's got to be something that continuously puts energy into the system to direct it or keep getting complex.

Which system? The universe? Since the entropy of the universe as a whole is increasing we can assume that no energy is being put into it.

There is a difference. Evolution is a process of increasing complex organizations. If there's entropy, everything would drift towards chaos. There's got to be something that continuously puts energy into the system to direct it or keep getting complex.

Hi TINNY,

Not to worry admitting ignorance is a virtue and unlike stupidity it's curable. I think you would benifit from looking up definitions of the term entropy. I believe you will find reference to disorder only in thermodynamics. I also would like to point out that the term chaos, when used by a CHAOS theorist or someone who subscribs to their view, means the opposite of randomness. Freethinkers last reply states a CHAOS view very well including the part about no creator or intelligent agent being logicly necessary.

Lee

Look up. It's called the sun.

The earth is not a closed system. the 2nd law only applies to closed systems. And even then, the 2nd can be used to explain Evolution. Pure Evolution would suggest that any and all mutations would be possible. Thus in pure Evolution EVERY life form would exist. But the 2nd does not allow for "every" all the time. So the more complex, less efficient, is eliminated in the genetic evolutionary process.

I thought everybody would just ignore my post... i hardly know anything abt thermodynamics, it just happened that i heard it somewhere and thought maybe i should just type off the top of my head and see what kinda response i get. ;)

Did you ever read about "junk dna"?
no, what is it? why is it chaotic
entropy of the universe as a whole is increasing
why is this?
I think you would benifit from looking up definitions of the term entropy
yup, thanks.

The earth is not a closed system. the 2nd law only applies to closed systems. And even then, the 2nd can be used to explain Evolution. Pure Evolution would suggest that any and all mutations would be possible. Thus in pure Evolution EVERY life form would exist. But the 2nd does not allow for "every" all the time. So the more complex, less efficient, is eliminated in the genetic evolutionary process.
I don't understand this quite well. what's pure evolution and the rest?