Science Forums

Anger and hate: the power of Brianwashing

sebbysteiny

Akin to building a house of cards. Even though, objectively, the arguments that are presented seem reasonable, they are not. Like the Reagan is a fish arguement. (Can't find it, but I heard about it from a logical debate teacher.) The arguement is based on seemingly reasonable basis but one of the fundamental proposistions is fallacial.

I can except brainwashing, I am just saying that it carries innate emotional weights. A fact is a fact, and that is all it is. It is neither good nor bad. Something that has emotional weights is a reflection of the fact, abstract of the concrete.

Anyway, I would think you are more or less correct regarding the thought reform, with an added facet. For me at least, life is like one long group psychotherapy session, working out the various kinks of our personalities to work more harmoniously with the rest of our group.

One of the details then of thought reform is that in order for a meme to be accepted, it must at least on face value appear to take one in the direction of either Self or Social acceptance (IE Self or Social love). I would be interested to see the development of two arguements, which I believe would be central to understanding the individual's contributions to the group.

That of the Accualization arguement, regarding the comparision of the self to the former self and the idealization of the future self, the powers held in accordance within, and responsibilities that result.

That of the Socialization arguement, regarding the comparision of the self with the not-self(s) and the idealization of the social self, the position occupied in regards to those around us, the powers that result therein, and the responsibilities that result therein.

Anyway, DeMause says that the friction that is created between psychoclasses is the result of severe differences. If we think of this all as a thermal system, then we have at the bottom absolute zero, and some unknown top. The system attemps to reach static equalibrium. A "higher" psychoclass has a higher tempature relative to other "lower" psychoclasses. When two extreames come into contact the result is volatile.

Have no idea where I was going so I'm just going to shut up now.

• 2 weeks later...

Brain washing is a subset of a process by which all people's beliefs are formed from their surroundings.

If you see a movie with space ships flying around and cool little noises playing and luke skywalker using telepathic powers to kick someone's but you are being brainwashed.

If a girl's boyfriend tells her why other guys have things wrong with them and at least he is good because he is not like them, the girl is being brainwashed.

If you go to church and your family and much of your community get together and talk about something which logically makes little sense but you believe you must accept it to be an accepted member of your community, you are being brainwashed.

If you listen to a song and your mind is subconsiously relating the sound of the beats to that of a heartbeat which causes pleasant emotions and at the same time words are sung that sound like they might make sense and intensify this favorable feeling of making a connection, you are being brainwashed as the other connection might lower your defenses against unconnected metaphors and poor reasoning.

Everything you see goes into forming what you believe. The only real question is what can we do to free ourselves from influences which would cause us to believe things other than truth?