Science Forums

In pursuit of climate-friendly energy

C1ay

On or off the job, Susan Reyes, a Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) nuclear engineer, promotes the application of nuclear science and technology and encourages young students to seek careers in nuclear science-related fields.

lefthttp://hypography.com/gallery/files/9/9/8/iter_thumb.jpg[/img]"Soaring oil prices, pollution issues and short supplies all point to why we need alternative methods of energy," Reyes says. "The time for nuclear energy has arrived, but we need to educate the public and reassure them of the safety aspect."

A native of Spain and a seven-year Lab employee, Reyes received her Ph.D. in industrial engineering from the University of Madrid. She came to LLNL to complete her doctoral research and then accepted a full-time position working in the Physics and Advanced Technologies (PAT) Directorate's Fusion Energy Program.

Reyes' main interest lies in fusion energy. She is currently involved in the International Tokomak Experimental Reactor (ITER) project, a joint international research and development project that aims to demonstrate the scientific and technical feasibility of magnetic fusion power. The fusion community is working together to show that fusion could be used to generate electrical power, and to gain the necessary data to design and operate the first electricity-producing plant.

Partners in the ITER project are the European Union (represented by the European Fusion Development Agreement), Japan, the People's Republic of China, India, the Republic of Korea, the Russian Federation and the United States. Construction of ITER will begin soon at the French Atomic Energy Commission site in Cadarache, France. Reyes is excited to be a part of the international project. In collaboration with UCLA and other domestic institutions, she is working on research and development activities to design fusion blanket modules to be tested in ITER.

Outside of her daily work activities, Reyes serves as the current chair of the Northern California Section (NCS) of the American Nuclear Society (ANS), a nonprofit international, scientific and educational organization committed to supporting nuclear science and technology.

The section, now with more than150 members, was established in 1954 by a group of individuals who recognized the need to unify and promote the professional activities within the diverse fields of nuclear science and technology in the San Francisco Bay Area. Over the past several years, the group has been instrumental in providing education and outreach so the public can make informed decisions about nuclear energy.

"I want to make a difference," Reyes said. "My goal is to promote the ANS and encourage Lab scientists to join and participate. We have a lot to contribute."

Brian Wirth, a professor at UC Berkeley and formerly of LLNL, urged Reyes to get involved in local chapter activities. "I am glad I did," she said. "The affiliation has been very rewarding for me on several levels.

"I've met many colleagues in my field and networked with professionals outside of the Laboratory. I've introduced Lab speakers to ANS monthly meetings that are held around the Bay Area. This visibility promotes the Lab's research among private companies and institutions."

Reyes has recently been elected vice-chair of the Fusion Energy Division within the American Nuclear Society, and next year, she will take the reins and serve as the division's chairperson.

Another area that Reyes endorses is the society's educational outreach program, a topic she is passionate about. The program supports K-12 curriculum via science teacher workshops at institutions including the University of California's Edward Teller Education Center (ETEC) located adjacent to the LLNL site; scholarships for high school students entering science and engineering; and "Expanding Your Horizons in Math and Science," an annual local conference that aims to spark young women's interest in science and math careers.

She also is active with the Berkeley Edge Program that encourages underrepresented minority students who are eligible for Ph.D. programs to apply to UC Berkeley.

Reyes lives in San Francisco. When she is not riding in her vanpool, or at work or involved in ANS activities, you can find her enjoying the city, exercising, doing yoga or occasionally volunteering with "Project Sunshine," a nonprofit organization founded by some of her San Francisco colleagues that assists terminally ill and disabled children in the Bay Area.

Source: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory