Science Forums

Cowboys

Queso

Where are the shamen?

:hihi:

How many of you know a shaman?

Is there anybody out there that acknowledges that their intense energy conversion may be due to the fact that they're transcending the spiritual mind into the potentially mundane streets of a hazy and barely conscious existence?

Let's just keep on evolving, ok? ;)

Trucking from city to city

forum to forum.

Everybody holds one key,

the other hand is for feeling the door?

Is there anybody out there that acknowledges that their intense energy conversion may be due to the fact that they're transcending the spiritual mind into the potentially mundane streets of a hazy and barely conscious existence?

What's hazy is my understanding of your terms. I too have had spriritual thoughts, thoughts about energy and it's transference, but I recognize that the understaning I have of those things is very personal and often gets lost in the attempt to communicate it to others.

That said, what do you mean with the above? :)

Why is the energy conversion intense?

What is a spiritual mind?

What is it to transcend this mind?

Why would one transcend into a barely conscious existence?

Are you perhaps intending for a barely conscious existence to imply a positive state...something like nirvana?

See what I mean about translating it? Now, where did I put my mind/consciounsess/emotion/understanding conversion communicator? I know it was here a moment ago...

How many of you know a shaman?
I know a fellow pretty well that at least 20 people routinely call a shaman, and who acknowledges the title. I’ve known a couple more, but one died (in his late 60s of cancer :eplane:) and the other went back to school, and gave up the shaman persona because he felt it was a determent to his work as a writer, social worker and activist. Because I’m getting into the latter half of my 40s, have long hair and a beard, hang out occasionally with the one acknowledged shaman fellow, and try to help people out with their problems whenever I can, people have tried calling me one, but I’ll only admit to being an adequate (and slightly trained) listener who likes to see people happy and healthy.

My wife’s better at the listening and helping profession than I am, and has more time for it, but never’s been called a shaman, ‘cause, well, it’s still a pretty sexist occupation – the best she can get called is “wise woman”, which she doesn’t like, because it makes her sound too old.

I’ve met perhaps a dozen folk who many consider shamans in passing, but can’t claim to really know them.

Where are the shamen?
When last I checked (5 + years ago) there were lots of them to be found at rainbow gatherings. I think it’s a pretty safe bet you’ll find at least one acceptable shaman at a good-size regional or the national gathering – though you’ll have to hurry, cause the national’s almost over for this year!
I know of more than a dozen people who believe this, and am pretty sure there are at least several tens of thousand I don’t know.

I’m not one of them. Though it’s not unusual for shamans to stay pretty stoned for long intervals - which can make them pretty hazily transcendent, egoless, barely conscious, etc. – I’ve yet to see one do any energy conversion other than the usual, mundane (but very wondrous) kind involving eating, metabolizing, thinking and moving about.

Myself, I’ve barely got started wrapping my mind around mundane reality, and suspect I’ll die long before I get close to a satisfactory conclusion. I can’t imagine I’ll ever become uninterested enough in the mundane to have any desire to transcend it, even if such a thing is possible (which I strongly doubt).

But we each have our own path, I believe, each with many intertwining forks. Please walk yours with grace and pleasure, orbsycli.