Science Forums

Gadgets and Gizmos

I think we need to list everything we've "invented" so far, so that in case somebody needs something for a plot point, we may not have to invent it again. I'm thinking this is only for stuff we make up. I don't have to list the shape-metal-allow muscles because that stuff really exists - I just tweaked the properties a little.

Let us begin:

1: Little Buggers - semi-autonomous roving cameras and sensor platforms. Stupid individually but can be controlled by the mainframe.

Real World Status: Do not exist but could be built. Within current technological limits.

Inventor: TFS

2: Mono-molecular obsidian construction knife - this things needs a shorter name.

Real World Status: Exists, but not in large form. Used in medical applications, but obsidian is too brittle for the usage proposed here. Could be glass reinforced to accomplish what we're talking about.

3: CNT nano-lathe - a mobile factor to make Carbon nanotube parts.

Real World Status: CNT's exist, but that's about it. This is currently imaginable technology, but it's a long way off.

4: EVA Retrieval Bolo - a "bolo" type gun used for grappling tumbling crew members. Good idea. We should really have one of these.

Real World Status: Doesn't exist, but should!

Inventor: KAC

5: Wrist communicators - basically a wireless communication device attached with surgical glue.

Real World Stats: No problems here. But an interesting synergy so I wrote it down.

Inventor: Pyrotex

I like this thread. Excellent idea to have an area dedicated to the technology ideas...

The Prophesy Computer OS - Known as "Conductor"

Inventor: TheBigDog (Credited to CraigD in the story)

Plausibility: I don't know :( It seems plausible

The Prophesy main computer is a massivly parallel array of 4096 processors. This is a "Unix" environment called "Conductor" that is designed to divvy out memory, processor and disk to the miriad of programs that need the crunch power of the main system. All sessions and processes are done as a virtual machine monitored and controlled by the Conductor system. When you are doing anything on the system you are working within a virtual environment created for you and allocated resources as you require. This layering is there as a safety measure, and because it is fast enough to get away with it.

The virtual machines can run as any native OS, so applications can be written for any platform, but used equally well within the Prophesy system. It takes more processor to do that, but she has plenty of that!

More info for the story telling!

Bill