Science Forums

Moonbase meteor shielding

pgrmdave

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...htm?list110584

I hadn't really thought about the fact that even the near side of the moon gets hit with many more meteors than earth, and even a small meteor at sufficient speeds could be devastating. I wonder though, could we build a magnetic field strong enough not to deflect these small meteors, but to cause enough friction to slow them down and burn them up until they were no longer dangerous but annoying?

Does the moon really get hit more than the earth though???

I heard once that it did not. It's just that since the moon does not have shifting tectonic plates, and other seismic activity, the craters just stay there.

Here on earth, we have earthquakes, tectonic movement, volcanos, erosion, and other natural events that "hide" or "demolish" craters.

As for a magnetic field... I'm not sure you can simply build one... Our magnetic field is due to the presence of a moving metal core... something the moon does not have... And even then, I'm not sure a magnetic field would slow down meteors...