Science Forums

US nuclear-fusion lab enters new era: achieving ‘ignition’ over and over

Vmedvil

17 hours ago, Vmedvil said:

Do you think fusion reactors will soon be powering this world?

No I do not. Fusion power is still 20 years away and always will be... I know annoying isn't it? I have little faith in fusion power as a standstill power plant. There does seem to be some progress in using fusion for rocket engines but that is still iffy as well. The power density of fusion power is, IMHO, much of the problem.  Fission is far more power dense in actual power generated. Even our sun as powerful as it seems, only produces power at the level of a compost pile. Only the extreme mass of the sun allows it produce enough energy to radiate. Kinda of funky to realize a compost pile the size of the sun would produce about the same about of power. 

https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/04/17/3478276.htm#

The Sun is the major source of life and energy for our planet, and it's also the source of a few mythconceptions. Here's two of them.

First, most of us know that the Sun does nuclear burning to generate its energy — and we also know that nuclear bombs get a huge amount of energy from a tiny amount of mass. So how come that, weight for weight, the Sun puts out less energy than the compost pile in your backyard?